PDA

View Full Version : Is this a symptom of SA? Social fantasies?

room402
10-04-2009, 09:56 AM
For those suffering from anxiety or social anxiety-- do you often times find yourself fantasizing about a less-shy, less-anxious you making these amazing impressions on people in your life, work, family, etc? Do you fantasize about being the life of the party, making people laugh with how witty you are / funny you are, or impressing people with awesome stories you have.

I certainly do -- I find myself constantly fantasizing over being this extremely like-able person. I get really embarrassed/awkward when I am in the in actual social situation because I can't live up to these bazaar fantasies.

Illuminati
10-10-2009, 04:07 AM
I used to when I was younger, but now I don't think I believe it's possible :)

Robbed
10-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Fantasies like these can certainly be a part of having social anxiety. It's not even a pathological thing, either. EVERYBODY wants something that they can't (or don't believe that they can) have. It's really no different from the way that many people fantasize about being rich.

markko
10-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi room402,

Honestly I think such fantasties are a good thing. If you can develop that as a daily exercise to program your subconscious to believe it your self confidence should come.

I think they call it visualisation and affirmation. The difficult bit is making yourself believe it.

Markko