PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro -- is it my enemy or future friend

ginger
10-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I was prescribed Lexapro(5mg for 7 days, then 10mg after that) Wednesday for Generalized Anxiety Disorder/social anxiety . Tonight will be my 3rd dose and I am terrified to take it.

The first night I had euphoria and mania, laughing out loud when nothing was funny. I had a loud ringing in my ear and was anxious. The insomnia was so bad I slept only 1 hour(i have no history of insomnia) Morning time I had headache and nausea. I called the doctor and asked him if this was a bad reaction and if I should continue taking the medicine. He said to continue the side effects will decrease.

The second night was worse. Instead of mania I had a lot of anger. I had thoughts such as I hate my anxious brain. I Hating myself for being an anxious person. I think if I would have been around people I would have been in a very irritable state. The ringing in my ears was worse than the first night. I had a panic attack. I felt electrical pulses in my head and I thought I was going to die---go braindead. In the morning I had a pounding headache and bad depression. I sat in bed all day looking around my room (literally sat, cant read because I cant concentrate) and I was too brain dead to watch tv. My body was aching and I was naesous. When I realized that I should call my doctors office and report my new side effects it was after 5pm and doctor is out.

Are these normal side effects or is this a bad reaction?
I don't know if I should take my 3rd dose. I want to listen to my body/mind, my body is telling me No.. this just doesnt feel right.
But 1st night doctor told me to stick with it, and I have previously tried to take zoloft and failed for the same reasons. I don't want to fail again, I want to get better.

Robbed
10-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Most people initially have some bad reaction to SSRIs. But this sounds a little extreme. I honestly would not take it anymore.

mamascrazy1985
10-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Ok with lexapro I was adviced by 5 different doc to take it in the morning not at night because u can't sleep! Those sideeffects will go away and for some lighting info I took lexapro my self about 2 yrs ago and took them like asprin there were no side effects and about 6 months ago around the time I decided that medicine was my enemy I all of a sudden was way anxious on it when I tried lexapro again! Its just ur anxiety that's all nothing more nothing less! Try it in the morn get up at like 5 when ur really really sleepy and then take it and pass back out till u get up normally! Good luck

Wake up and stop shaking cause ur just wasting time

gentle
12-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Ive been using 10mg of lexapro for while now and have had good results. I was very nervous about taking medication at first, but it has honestly changed my life. It has just given me the little bit of edge over the anxiety that I needed to take control of my life, or maybe I should say it allowed me to let go a little easier...of my obsessiveness, anxiety etc.
Ive had little to no side effects, except when I miss a day, then a headache for sure, and a spacey feeling.
I know this post is a little old, but I hope you continued to use it and its helped you. When you decide to use medication, I think you should commit to it. I think it would take your body at least a couple of weeks to adjust.
Gentle