PDA

View Full Version : why do i keep thinking ive got schizophrinia

nicola98
10-01-2009, 11:42 AM
ive sufferd with panic attaks for 4 years and learned to cope with them with them i was scared to die and scared about my health . recently i just cant stop to think im going mad or got schizophrinia and going to end up in a mental home im just scared for my kids . im scared i wont c them grow up .i just want to know what is going on will i ever be me again or am i going mad

newman21
10-02-2009, 07:39 AM
hey,

man was it good to read your post. I thought I was going nuts too. I was OBSESSED (still am sometimes) that I was going to be schitzophrenic, so much that I would even creat bad thoughts and associate them with the illness. I was so conivinced I had it once that I thought I would have a voice that would tell me to hurt people and do bad things. I still get that once and a while. It can be really weird too. For example, I was at the library one day this week and I walked past a shelf of books and the one book that stood out was titled in big print "schitzophrenia" right at eye level. It freaked me out! The most absurd thing! I also worry about being bi polar and wanting to commit suicide. I dont want to, but I worry I will someday. The weird thing is, I'll wake up in the morning worried that I'll be schitzophrenic and go home after work worried that I'm bi polar.

Moral of the story is, we're not mad. We're actually far from it. PM me if you want to talk about it further.

mamascrazy1985
10-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Anxiety = worry
Worry=anxiety

kitten123
10-07-2009, 01:54 PM
yes i have the exact same fear and its very scary,i would appreciate it if anyone could please tell me more,about how they feel,what started this fear and what type of thoughts they have because i feel very alone with this, thank you xxx

danstelter
10-08-2009, 04:24 PM
If you would like help on determining whether you should seek professional help about schizophrenia, please state more details and I'll be happy to help you decide what to do. I can't make a diagnosis, but I could help you determine whether or not that might be a condition that you should seek help for. My guess is that if you are worrying about having it, then you probably don't because most schizophrenics do not realize they have a disorder or that they need to seek help for it. Hope this helps and be sure to let me know if you have further questions!

Robbed
10-09-2009, 05:19 AM
There are basically two reasons why anxiety sufferers worry about having schizophrenia. The first reason is that anxiety disorder creates powerful negative emotional symptoms that make an anxiety sufferer truly believe they have something FAR more serious than anxiety disorder. One symptom that causes this fear is derealization (ie unreality). This can make your world feel unreal and completely unfamiliar, which can make you feel like you have truly 'lost it'. Also, obsessive thoughts can make you feel like you have similarly 'lost it' because of their unpleasant, repetative, and oftentimes uncontrollable nature.

Another thing that causes anxiety sufferers to fear schizophrenia is the tendency for anxiety disorder to make you worry and fear the worst. This simply becomes a habit with anxiety disorder. And when you know that something is wrong with you mentally, you fear the worst. Of course, when you couple this fear of the worst with very real and scary anxiety symptoms, you can see where this is going.

Anyway, as the guy above said, it would probably be best to see a doctor if you are afraid of having schizophrenia. But also, as he said, if you are afraid of it, then you probably don't have it. Honestly, the best thing you can do for these sorts of fears is to react to them as little as possible. You literally feed anxiety disorder and give it strength by doing what it tells you to do: react with fear to its symptoms. The more you can keep relaxed despite continued anxiety symptoms, the less severe anxiety disorder will get over time. Just keep in mind that anxiety disorder is slow to heal. So you will have to practice acceptance of your symptoms over a long period of time (ie months to years) before you are able to recover from it.