PDA

View Full Version : Eating. My one big problem.

Captain Deep Breath
09-15-2009, 09:01 PM
It started with a full blown panic attack, follow by severe panic disorder. I could not ride on the bus, go to the grocery store or even watch the Hockey Game without feeling the panic come on.

So i started reading a book that helped calm me down a bit. Now a few months later, i almost feel completely normal. The only thing that remains is eating. I still have this obscene fear of swallowing food. Like eating is not a natural process but i'm looking at each step under a microscope.

chew, chew, chew , swallow. uh oh did i swallow hard enough? Do i need to swallow again? Am i choking? sip of water,

and repeat.

Has anyone had this and been able to conquer this whole eating game? It's so damn hard to break the habit because we're always eating! Let me know if you have any tips. My day can be completely fine until lunch. And it's all downhill from there!

seeker83
10-15-2009, 09:55 PM
What book was it that helped you out with your panic attacks? I'm interested.

jahidas
10-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I can't eat if I am very nervous or else I get sick because of butterflies in my stomach.

Captain Deep Breath
11-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey sorry for the extremely late response...

The book was "the top 10 anxiety management techniques" or something along those lines (i lent it to a friend)

Captain Deep Breath
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm still having problems with the eating by the way. It's stuck in my head. Every time i go to swallow my brain screams "YOU'RE GONNA CHOKE!" and i have trouble swallowing.

I need a way to distract myself while i'm eating... i tried reading/watching TV but no dice.

Any ideas?

socal21
11-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Hmm.. How about reversing your thoughts and fighting your brain. Keep saying this food is delicious or I'm not going to choke, it is going to be fine. Keep repeating positive thoughts instead? It's worth a shot.

Captain Deep Breath
01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Almost 3 months later and i'm still having this problem. I thought i'd bump this thread to see if anyone else can relate.

I think this anxiety may be too strong for me to manipulate with "thought replacement" techniques...

Crush
01-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Almost 3 months later and i'm still having this problem. I thought i'd bump this thread to see if anyone else can relate.

I think this anxiety may be too strong for me to manipulate with "thought replacement" techniques...

Food swallowing is very common.

However. I'm going to have to recommend you do semething you wont like: you need to go to a forum that specializes in OCD. There's a good one based out of the UK.

Explain to them what happens and your thoughts especially of why you are afraid to eat the food. The thoughts you get before you eat, and, the rituals around eating time. The OCD people are very very acurate on their advice and helpful.

unnerved
01-26-2010, 07:49 AM
A technique that I have heard that works for eating and thinking that you can't swallow is to try not to swallow. Just chew the food with no intention of swallowing it. Eventually, the food will make it's way to the back of your mouth and your swallowing reflex will kick in without any conscious effort.

Once you realize that your body will take care of swallowing whether you are trying to or not, then you will begin lose your fear that you can't swallow.

Hope that helps.