PDA

View Full Version : 5 Tips For Coping With Panic

mg1980
08-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I think these are great -

One of the first signs of a panic attack coming on is the breathing increases and can become short and rapid, when you experience this find a quite area and consciously breath slower and deeper, cup your hands and breath through these if it helps, some people use a paper bag, this has the same affect. Know you are taking control is the first thing in coping with a panic attack.

Donīt try to fight the panic, this will increase your adrenaline and make it feel worse than it is, itīs not easy to relax, but try to find a medium between stressing over it and relaxing, remember this feeling will pass, and try to imagine yourself in a tranquil environment and overcoming the symptoms – in time they will pass and allow yourself to relax. See, you are coping with your panic attack and beating the emotions.

Another real helpful tip to coping with your panic or anxiety is communication. So many people feel that they must suffer this feeling alone, but you must find a loved one or a friend and confide in them, - explain how you are feeling, and use this method even after the panic attack has passed – you may find this helps to prevent a reoccurrence.

When you can feel the emotions and feelings of a panic attack distract your mind with something you enjoy, listening to music or participating in a fun activity can help – these are not easy to push yourself towards, but both activities are a great help in coping with panic and should be considered as much as possible.

Donīt analyze the attack whilst you are experiencing it, allow it to happen and pass before you try and understand what may have triggered it, again too much thought will heighten your adrenaline and enhance the emotions. For now your priority is coping with the panic attack, later you can try and understand what and why.

Using the above advice is a great start in coping with your panic and anxiety attacks, and remember to write these tips down and keep them in a place where you can access them quick – ladies in your purse is great, and gents try your wallet.

seeker83
10-18-2009, 12:19 PM
A tip that I usually think about is, What is the worst thing that could happen? When I put that into perspective, I realize that things aren't as bad as they seem.