PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Depression

jlauren1
08-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Is anyone experiencing both anxiety and depression? I think I am frequently dealing with them both. Any relievers, natural or prescription? Thanks.

punisher
08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Hello,
You will find that there as many remedies for anxiety and depression that there are causes. I would suggest that you see a dr. or therapist first. Maybe try a St. Johns Wort at a health food store. Prescription medications should be a last resort. They are extremely difficult to get off of once you start.

Good luck

CindyE
08-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I think I might be. I recently started seeing a counselor, mainly for anxiety and to help me deal with a difficult (at times) spouse. But then he asked me "So how long have you been depressed"? And i said I wasn't sure if I was. i do have some of the symptoms, but I've usually been able to snap out of it on my own. But lately, I do feel like just a shell of my former self. From all I've read, having both is quite common.

fernandogress
08-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Depression - the blues can hit us all from time to time, as financial, emotional or work problems hang over like a dark cloud. In the long term, if the problems are not resolved, depression lowers the immune system, leaving you prone to a spiral of worsting mental and physical health.
Anxiety is a normal response to danger. Anxiety is abnormal when its severity is out of proportion to the threat of danger or when it outlasts the threat. Anxiety mood is closely coupled with somatic and autonomic components, and with psychological ones.
Depression is a normal response to loss or misfortune. Depression is abnormal when it is out of proportion to the misfortune or unduly prolonged. Depressive mood is closely coupled with other changes, notably a lowering of self-esteem, self-criticism, and pessimistic thinking.