PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking GABA, Ativan or Xanax?

Anxious
08-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd like to hear from those of you taking either of these meds or GABA supplement. How long have you taken these and what has your experience been like?

Also can you take GABA along with Ativan or Xanax in the same day?

Hanino
08-22-2009, 07:55 PM
From what I understand taking a GABA supplement does nothing at all, howsoever L-Glutamic Acid is a precursor of GABA.

Your brain will synthesize GABA from L-Glutamic Acid given you have enough for the brain to work with, which is what you want anyways.

Gamma-Amino Butyric acid (GABA) is an amino acid which acts as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. It inhibits nerve transmission in the brain, calming nervous activity.

Without GABA, nerve cells fire too often and too easily. Anxiety disorders such as panic attacks, seizure disorders, and numerous other conditions including addiction, headaches, Parkinson's syndrome, and cognitive impairment are all related to low GABA activity. GABA hinders the transmission of nerve impulses from one neuron to another. It has a calming or quieting influence. A good example to help understand this effect is caffeine. Caffeine inhibits GABA release. The less GABA, the more nerve transmissions occur. Think what too much coffee feels like: that is the sensation of glutamate without enough GABA.

You might consider getting an Amino Acid supplement with all 20 Aminos that are required by the human body to function properly. Before you do, do some research or ask me, there's a bit more involved than just Amino Acids.

"Also can you take GABA along with Ativan or Xanax in the same day"
I never recommend mixing meds and supplements of any kind seems kind of defeating, so I would not do it it.

Hanino