PDA

View Full Version : What is ment by social anxiety/ phobia ?

DTrotter9
08-20-2009, 12:25 AM
One of my friends is suffering with this phobia.
He dont want to mingle with people. He is saying that ts too high and he need to take medicines otherwise he get panic attacks. is he true?

Could you people please tell me how to overcome that phobia?
is it necessary to take medicines?
Waiting for ur reply. Thanks.

northstar
08-20-2009, 03:29 AM
hi dtotter,

how compassionate of you to want to help your friend, he is very lucky to have someone who wants to support him through this difficult time in his life :)

a social anxiety is just as you describe, when the thought of mixing with other peope, especially strangers, makes you feel anxious or panicked to the point that you stop doing it or perhaps to some extremes people don't want to leave their house. it's a very difficult one to deal with as they will have to push past their anxietys to even get help in the first place.

your friend should really go and speak to his doctor if he wants to get some help. someone with such problems can benefit from therapies like cognitive behaviour therapy or psychtherapy to help them overcome their fears.

DTrotter9
08-20-2009, 05:43 AM
hi dtotter,

how compassionate of you to want to help your friend, he is very lucky to have someone who wants to support him through this difficult time in his life :)

a social anxiety is just as you describe, when the thought of mixing with other peope, especially strangers, makes you feel anxious or panicked to the point that you stop doing it or perhaps to some extremes people don't want to leave their house. it's a very difficult one to deal with as they will have to push past their anxietys to even get help in the first place.

your friend should really go and speak to his doctor if he wants to get some help. someone with such problems can benefit from therapies like cognitive behaviour therapy or psychtherapy to help them overcome their fears.

Thanks a lot for ur advice I really appreciate it.
I already told my friend that - he should go and speak to his doctor..
Anyway here u tell some therapies like cognitive behaviour therapy... But i don't get u properly. Can u tell me more about this type of therapy. Thanks in Advance.