PDA

View Full Version : Is it social phobia?

CindyE
08-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I already know i have anxiety, but not sure about social phobia. Here are the things in question.
Don't like holidays or guests much, even if they really are loved ones
Kids in my house, unless they are well-behaved (no screaming, running, getting into everything)
Stepdaughter and her unruly kids trigger very bad anxiety
i seem to get anxiety attacks often in grocery stores, not sure why.
i blush sometimes just talking, even when i'm not embarassed
sometimes i feel spacey or disoriented when driving, thankfully not all that often
i think i'm having anxiety just typing about this!

rejanette
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I used to have the worst anxiety attacks going to grocery stores... And going in places where i did not really know people...
I hate having company or going to Family members....

CindyE
08-16-2009, 10:58 AM
It is weird, because it doesn't happen every time at the store, but that is one place it does happen often! I get feeling really weird and off-balance.
My hubby bugs me sometimes about having family over for holiday dinner. I think his family is fine with the way things are for now, and we have a smaller house, too. I have told him when the time comes that it looks like we need to take over some of it, I will cross that bridge then. I did host a 4th of July party this year, only because nobody else had a spot to set off fireworks, and his relatives from AZ never get to see them. I thought that was a big step, and it would get him off my back for awhile. But no, he drank too much, was not as helpful as I'd hoped, and then started bugging me more about having Christmas here, which immediately triggered anxiety! Perhaps if he had not been drinking, he would not have said it, I don't know...

valens_59
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I already know i have anxiety, but not sure about social phobia. Here are the things in question.
Don't like holidays or guests much, even if they really are loved ones
Kids in my house, unless they are well-behaved (no screaming, running, getting into everything)
Stepdaughter and her unruly kids trigger very bad anxiety
i seem to get anxiety attacks often in grocery stores, not sure why.
i blush sometimes just talking, even when i'm not embarassed
sometimes i feel spacey or disoriented when driving, thankfully not all that often
i think i'm having anxiety just typing about this!
WOW~!~~ Are we living the same life?
You just described me + some other things.
my hubby dont understand it either and chalks it up to me being a B****.. oh well.. he will never understand and of course if I have any conditions, he gets all defensive and makes me feel bad saying its all his fault and turns it on me.. Then I have to pretend to be OK!!
Right now we do not spend any holidays together, he goes to his family and I stay home (even Christmas) ... it's sad but I just can't do it and he prefers to be with them instead of me..

BadLuckBettie88
09-07-2009, 01:23 AM
My anxiety is getting to the point where not only do I get faint and disoriented in grocery stores, [mainly wal mart where its always so packed, especially when waiting in long lines.. thats always the worst..] its getting to the point that I cant even go out in public anymore - I have to have my fiancee do the shopping now. this is so unlike me. but when i am in the store the minute i walk in, i feel this horrible feeling of being faint just sweep through me-i get wicked disoriented, and cant concentrate. i try to pretend im fine but its getting worse and worse - once i get out and in the car, im usually fine. so i know its just being in the store.

i hate it so much. i dont take any anxiety meds so i have to deal with it on my own.. still not sure how to deal with it. ive tried breathing, telling myself im ok etc.. but i always feel pale, flushed, hot, rapid heart beat, dizzy and like im going to faint any second.

snakeeyes148
09-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Most of the things stated here are true for me as well and if they are not fit then i am not 100% well as well!

I think these things are to be overlooked...I know a lot of people would like to beat me up for giving that suggestion but the most effective way to get over an anxiety that is because of someones' presence is to overlook your condition.

Wes
09-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi CindyE. I'm new, so this is my first "barging in" into a topic. But regarding what you wrote last month... It would be helpful if you could determine the thoughts that go through your mind at the grocery store... it would at least give you a better insight on the origin of the anxiety (given that isn't always present). Blushing is a common indicator of embarassment (though not necessarily SA). Do you have thoughts regarding what the other person is thinking about you, during the conversation?

With the family of our loved ones, I find it is not always an anxiety about social meetings... it sometimes can be a kind of perfectionist anxiety, we'd like to be liked by their families and make a good impression. That sometimes makes us try a bit too hard, don't know if that happens with you too.