PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety without stress or worry?

DC-H
08-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I am a very healthy 28 yr old female and I went to the MD this week because I was experiencing really sharp spasm pains in my chest-- really painful and send chills all the way to my toes. The pains last only a few second but I keep getting them repeatedly all throughout the day. The MD says my heart is fine and it must be a strained muscle. I think he is crazy! How would a strained muscle hurt like this and how would I have even strained it? I was somewhat concerned, too, because a couple days prior to this starting, I had such bad nausea that I couldn't eat all day and was certain I would vomit (and I almost did). I thought the two might be linked (the nausea and weird chest pain). In fact, I was so certain they were linked that is why I went to the doctor. I talked with a friend who has had anxiety and says she has had similar symptoms. Then I began thinking, hmm, maybe I have anxiety, too, but the weird thing is that I have no stress or worry that I can think of. In fact, I have never been calmer or more at ease in my life! Can you have anxiety without stress and worry and if so, what would cause it? Maybe there is something else going on with me, but anxiety makes the most sense with these symptoms.

Charlene
08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi DC-H

Your question, "Can you have anxiety without stress and worry, and if so what causes it?" and you stating that you "have never been calmer or more at ease in your life" has me wondering what brought you to the Anxiety Forum in the first place. If you're experiencing some unfamiliar physical symptoms and your doctor has performed an exam related to your symptoms, then all I can suggest is that you either find yourself another doctor for a second opinion or go back to your physician and ask to be further tested.

The fact that you have stated that you are calm and at ease indicates that you are not experiencing any type of anxiety. Albeit, it would be considered normal for you to feel some concern for not being properly diagnosed by your doctor, however, you don't appear to be too bothered by your symptoms, rather you seem a little irritated by your doctor's response. Having some anxiety is a normal, healthy response to stress. Having a disorder, however, is another story. A disorder would have you obsessing over the pains, continuously monitoring where they are, focusing your thought with all your intent on them, evaluating every slight change, wondering if the pains might be dangerous, not being able to think about much else....if this sounds like you, then you probably have a disorder. If not, then you're someone experiencing unfamiliar pains that your doctor has not been able to diagnose. Go back to your doctor and have him send you for further tests.

DC-H
08-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Charlene,

Thanks for your reply. I actually was less concerned that I have an anxiety disorder and more wondering if my symptoms might be from an anxiety attack, but I was wondering if you can have an anxiety attack without accompanying feelings of stress or worry? Like, could something other than stress or worry trigger an anxiety attack? I think my original post wasn't clear enough about that, so I thank you for your reply. My symptoms have deceased, so I probably won't go to the doctor again, but I am still wondering, "what the heck was that going on with me?!"

Thanks!

Charlene
08-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi DC-H,
Do you mean is it possible to have an anxiety attack without being panicked or stressed or worried at the time the attack occurred? Yes, definitely, absolutely. Many times people who experience their first few anxiety attacks are enjoying a wonderful casual afternoon or evening with their friends or family. Everything seems fine. And then, seemingly out of nowhere, they are struck with strange unidentified body symptoms. And the list of unfamiliar body sensations vary enormously. Some get deep sharp pains, other's feel gravely ill, other's get double vision and dizziness. What this does to the person is it sends them into high alert, to constantly become aware of any new body symptoms that might pop up. And this has that person lock so deep onto those feelings that they begin to wonder "Could I be dying? Do I have a rare disease? What's going on with me? Will I be okay?" While it's true that most "normal" people have similar thoughts at times when a new unidentified pain or feeling arises, they don't develop an intense fear or worry of the symptoms. They are able to function with the body sensations without it overtaking their thoughts.