PDA

View Full Version : Big weekend! Help

__freespirit
02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm traveling to Florida (6 to 7 hour) drive to see a concert full of people.

I'm so nervous about the trip but so excited that I get to go see this band! They don't come here often because their from another country.

I need advice on how to stay calm in the car while getting there, and while I'm there (out of my safe zone) how can I remain calm?

Thanks a lot for any input.

Bridgie
02-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey FreeSpirit! That's great that you are going! Wow, that's a long drive. I would bring lots of music, and a brown paper bag, in case you start getting panicky, you can take breaths into it to slow your breathing down.

Good Luck and have a great time!

brickyard_red
02-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi there freespirit, this sounds like it's going to be a cool trip. One thing I would do is take something that makes you feel comforted. Whether it be a piece of clothing or a stuffed animal or a special pillow, take something with you that you can hold onto. And like Bridgie said, music is a huge help.

I'm assuming you're driving? Wow, I wouldn't be able to do that, I'm so proud of you! Definately gonna have to let us know how you did and what it was like when you get back. 8)

Cath :)

Cathie
02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi, I have two tips. One is to try box breathing, breathe in for the count of 4, hold for the count of 4, release for 4, then hold for 4 again. Keep doing this for a couple of minutes and it really helps. I think the counting helps as well as the breathing. Its better if you practice this before hand as it feels a bit strange at first, holding breaths. I also buld up to it by missing out the holds at forst, until my breathig slows.

The second tip is to take fizzy water if you get nauseous or a churny stomach. It helps to disperse any gas in the stomach which makes you very uncomfortable. When anxious I tend to swallow air and it makes me feel horrible, but having the fizzy water and leting it out immediately makes me feel better.

Hope that helps
Cathie

__freespirit
02-22-2006, 02:25 AM
I'll keep this in mind. I'm not the one drive, nor will I be by myself. My boyfriends driving, and my bestfriend is coming along with us.

I'll keep this updated when I get back to let you know how it went. If I don't reply that means I didn't make it and I jumped out of the car midway there and ran away. :lol:

miss_moose
02-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Oh my, you are so brave for doing this, weldone :) I always get really panicy about going out because of my agoraphobia and i especially get panicy on car journeys but i take my comfort bag. I think it would really help if you made one too for your trip.
My Comfort bag is an angel, i wont go anywhere with out it. its just a normal sholder bag which i used to use for college so it doesnt draw attention to me.
In mine i have a hotwater bottle, that way i can feel the warmth through the bag which eases stomach pain. no one knows you have it so you dont feel stupid but its comforting to you. also i have a puzzle book or 2, a magazine, some tissue, 2 cartons of orange juice and a botle of water. you can mix and match and take what ever you feel you might need "just incase". I still panic but having my comfort bag with me just incase i have a panic attack is a huge comfort to me.
What ever you take in it though, always have a drink with you and some tissue. the tissue is just good to scunch up in a bag and use as a stress ball.
This message wasnt meant to be this long but i hope it helps you, and anyone else who may be reading this.
Good luck xxx

__freespirit
02-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Well I lived heh I'm truely proud of myself. I actually didn't need anything that comforted me. I was fine on my own. I was able to sleep in the hotel, I thought I wouldn't be able to. The concert was amazing, and for a second I thought I was going to pass out but I didn't care!

The trip to and from Orlando wasn't bad at all. I got a little antsy about getting back in the car when we stopped at a gas station, but other than that I was fine.

Maybe I have gotten over my agoraphobia with this theory alone.
Make your comfort zone your body. You'll never be without it, so you'll never feel antsy no matter where you are. This has helped me a great deal. It also makes me feel more comfortable with myself. Which is also a good thing.

Unfortunately my anxiety came back to me as soon as I came home.

crxman321
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Anytime I go anywhere like that I try to Avoid eye Contact. And I focus on one or two thoughts while waiting in line or standing in a crowd of people for instance the Concert. What happens is You arent paying much attention to the other people and the thought or thoughts Your focusing on calm your nerves and alllow you to stand the moment and moments to come. Dont let your mind jump ahead though. It only works when your calm to a degree and are really thinking. Dont get me wrong i'm still very much Nervous but its about getting through that and not gaining any negative and unwanted attention to yourself. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT The second you lose it is the second you know it wasnt worth it. This takes time and is not easy but I assure you it can make a difference just my 2 cents!

Adam :)