PDA

View Full Version : negative thoughts

Weeze Begs
07-31-2009, 04:29 PM
I am so sad to admit that I have had this negative thought -

Yesterday I went to wake my baby girl up from her morning nap. I picked her up, kissed and cuddled her, went over to the window and pulled the curtains and opened the window wide to get some fresh air in.

With that this thought rushed into my head of how easy it would be to throw her out the large window.
Don't get me wrong, I would never do it, as she is the world to me and I love her dearly.

I am sickened that I had this thought, and I can't believe this thought came to my mind so quickly and naturally. I just can't believe I had this thought.

I spoke to my Pschatrist and he said that it it just a thought brought on through my post-natal depression /anxiety symptoms and that I shouldn't dwell on it, and it doesn't mean that I will do it, it's just a random thought

Has anybody else had negative thoughts

mykull
08-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Hello,

do not feel alone. I too suffer from these weird thoughts. harming loved ones, harming myself, even though i know i would never do it. It's just our anxiety playing tricks on us. I have thoughts of saying really inappropriate things, and it's really lame, but i have to keep telling myself that it's just my anxiety.

Barcadia101
09-07-2009, 01:15 PM
That is one of the mos common thing people suffer form...a negative thought about their loved once.
I think you had it form the expert...don't dwell on it.

hesson81
01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
oh yea, up untill about a week ago i couldn't look at a cord with my kids around. It drove me up a wall. I self medicated by just allowing it. At first I wondered if I shouldn't be around my kids, but I was thinking that couldn't be the answer.

Theory: I think what happens is you have a thought like that and the very next think you do is attatch an emotion to it. It's the emotion attatched to it that allows the thought to be there or the thought to come. For me It was like this: thought (negative)>emotion (disturbance, sadness,fear(what ever it is, it's a negative thought))>the anxiety response (bewilderment, stomach knot, ect...)>thought>emotion>response. And so goes it untill you build a bridge and get over it.

What I find helps is going at it backwards, accept everything untill it gets to the anxiety, then breathe through the anxiety and tell yourself that the thought has nothing to do with your anxiety, it's the emotion that does. Don't expect this to work on the first try and don't let it discourage you. Think of it like yoga, it's a practice. The hardest part that I had to get over regarding negative intrusive thoughts regarding my kids was the consious response I had to have associated with the thought. For example, as crapy as it sounds, I had to laugh after these thoughts. The thought of that doesn't sound to appealing, becasue who wants to laugh after they have a horrible thought of doing something bad to someone they love.

My experience with it though is that your consious reaction has a lot to do with reinforcing the emtion and the thought. The Idea is to take the power away from the thought. So when you have a bad thought and you let it effect you by attatching a negative emotion to it, your likely to tense up, raise your shoulders ect... Remember that it is indeed a mind and body thing. When your body is tense and stressed it will effect the way you think.

The next hurdle I had to practice was this. Don't allow your thoughts to change the way you want to raise your children, i.e. dicipline ect.. I finally had to just tell myself, "I'm still going to be the dad I want to be." Remember take away power from the thought and allow it to be there. At times we don't control our minds, the only thing we can indeed control is the way we react to it.

I can't say that it is easy, it's hard to do, but it is indeed doable. And you can do it. I'm not just saying that to you to offer positive reinforcement. The same things that get us into this mess is the very thing that's going to get us out of it. You'll do fine...

lisa0913
02-21-2010, 07:40 AM
I have always had those strange thoughts about hurting someone or myself even when I don't feel suicidal. They pass quickly and I have noticed that when I manage my anxiety through many of the techniques I have learned, these thoughts do not plague me quite so frequently.

Don't feel badly about it - being a new mom can bring on a lot of stress and anxiety which could be contributing to these thoughts.

MikeJsimon
03-11-2010, 07:40 AM
You can also get rid of negative thoughts by feeding your subconscious with positive statements that you may not be able to perceive with your conscious mind. This is the subliminal message technique where you watch videos where positive subliminal messages are flashed quickly, not for you to read or see but for your subconscious to take. This way, your subconscious will be cleaned out of the negative attitudes and thoughts.

Quoted from
http://ezinearticles.com/?5-Things-You-Can-Do-to-Get-Rid-of-Negative-Thoughts&id=3327244

Namrata
04-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Negative thoughts appears to be very destroying as it makes person so ill that it becomes very difficult to deal. Mind diversion is very important in this case to get positive attitude that will leads us to think positive which results in good sleep.

Thanks

joshuab
05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey Weeze Begs!!

Don't worry about it...
It's all a natural one.. every body in this world will have this kinda weird thoughts!!
So don't get stressed over and worry thinking about that, and please stop analyzing it.

trperkins
05-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I am so sad to admit that I have had this negative thought -

Yesterday I went to wake my baby girl up from her morning nap. I picked her up, kissed and cuddled her, went over to the window and pulled the curtains and opened the window wide to get some fresh air in.

With that this thought rushed into my head of how easy it would be to throw her out the large window.
Don't get me wrong, I would never do it, as she is the world to me and I love her dearly.

I am sickened that I had this thought, and I can't believe this thought came to my mind so quickly and naturally. I just can't believe I had this thought.

I spoke to my Pschatrist and he said that it it just a thought brought on through my post-natal depression /anxiety symptoms and that I shouldn't dwell on it, and it doesn't mean that I will do it, it's just a random thought

Has anybody else had negative thoughts

Having gone through your post, my opinion is that such a negative though may just arise as a notion that occasionally creeps from your subconscious mind. Whilst as a matter of fact, due to different life experiences, external influences (from other people, the unhealthy themes portrayed by certain tv programs, internet websites etc) as well as different personalities and characteristics of many persons fostered from their upbringings etc, most people would then tend to develop certain fanciful ideas for certain scenarios that they come across in life in response to anything that triggers such urges, particularly when these ideas are considered as taboos or anything unpractical, and hence most of them would try their best to suppress those thoughts so as to avoid doing anything harmful, wrongfully unacceptable and undesirable to oneself and others.

As such, to dispel such negative thoughts, I would suggest you to spend your free time engaging in such positive, meaningful and constructive activities like reading the books about religions and other moral values, helping the needy ones etc, and at the same time, try to think positively, sensibly and rationally all the time. In the meantime, try to stay away from anything that might instill any negative thoughts / ideas into your mind.

ianpeterson
06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
The only person who can change the negative thoughts to positive is the person itself and so you should build the power to believe in yourself. To change yourself is in your hands and you will have to reinforce yourself with the positivity.

trperkins
06-07-2010, 03:03 AM
The only person who can change the negative thoughts to positive is the person itself and so you should build the power to believe in yourself. To change yourself is in your hands and you will have to reinforce yourself with the positivity.

I fully agree with everything you say. And I have something more to add.

Well, in view of the very obvious facts that many people nowadays have lesser and lesser concerns with moral principles, scruples in that their actions are much more motivated by greeds, lusts, angers and obsessions, whilst at the same time, the themes, scenes, scenarios and contents portrayed by the mass media especially the tvs would tend to advocate such ideas, themes, scenarios of amoralities, violences and all other iniquities and vices, it is thus advisable for the ones who are not that mentally strong to stay away from all these negative influences.

It is for the very reason that all those negative ideas, scenes, themes etc displayed by all those people and media would indirectly and subtly instil negative impressions and notions into the subsconscious minds, especially of those weak-minded people.

And hence, when coming across certain real-life situations / circumstances / scenarios , those negative influences would probably just flare up and intensify the negative thoughts and desires of those people who cannot resist the temptations and desires of greeds, lusts, angers and obsessions, and then just have all sorts of emotional problems such as all those weird whims and urges (which one is able or is not able to suppress) as well as all those negative behavioural / personality changes as defined by the bad things they do.

And as a matter of that, those negative influences, especially the ones portrayed by the tvs is actually one of the factors contributing to the rising crime rates especially among the youngsters nowadays who have much lesser self-controls to refrain themselves from doing bad things that are prohibited by law and considered as taboos by the society.

In a nutshell, it would be at best to stay away from all those negative influences so as not to allow anything to influence one's mind negatively.

Psychic24
07-22-2010, 05:36 PM
I also experience such thoughts occasionally, there was once this time that I started to have night mares about me killing my little brother....It just begin from a simple thought one day, My brother had his birthday and he picked the knife and cut the cake and the thought hit me...

I had a talk with alot of people about it....My mother use to say that I should fight such thoughts from the inside and answer myself that I don't want to do such things...and apparently after some time I was cured...but none the less I have negative thoughts occasionally.

trperkins
08-01-2010, 08:49 AM
"I was cured...but none the less I have negative thoughts occasionally."

Well then, my suggestion to you is that you should explore and trace the very sources of such negative thoughts so as to find out where do they come from originally. Actually, the environments and surroundings we live in nowadays, such as the tv and other mass media programmes, certain reading materials, internet materials, the people we deal with and get in touch with day-by-day etc, all these stuffs will slowly, subliminally and indirectly instill, foster, nurture and cultivate certain notions, thoughts, ideas etc into our subconscious minds without we noticing such a phenomenon at all.

Saddeningly, all these environments, surroundings and the people we deal with day-by-day, well, frankly speaking, they would bring mostly negative cognitive influences rather than positive ones to us, such as the various indecent, but highly publicized and sophistically promoted themes of crimes, violences, sex, fornications, promiscuities, amoralities, thefts, murders, killings, lyings, cursings and swearings, lewd languages and other obscenities, shameless behaviours, malicious ideas, malevolent and sinister acts, other vices and iniquities, etc portrayed in our modern day tv programmes, movies, certain internet materials etc nowadays. At best, all such immoral visual and reading materials that are potentially and psychologically contaminating, harmful and meaningless to most people, well, they should all be excluded off the air for the good of our society and community in general.

Therefore, we thus ought to stay alert about such scenarios and phenomena so as not to let such negative ideas and influences of our environments, surroundings and the people we deal with day-by-day, to slip stealthily into our subconscious minds without us noticing anything happening at all. So, my suggestion is such that one should try one's best to recognize all the negative influences surrounding one's life and try one's best to stay away from them as remotely distant as possible so as not to let one's mind get polluted and corrupted subliminally by such negative influences, notions, ideas etc.