PDA

View Full Version : Strange bladder issues - anxiety?

taosterman
07-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone - like many others on here, I have some strange symptoms that I can't seem to pin down.

First off, it's pretty much a certainty that I have anxiety - the way my thought processes have worked since the onset of adulthood have made that abundantly clear. The physical symptoms didn't become an issue until this year, and the ones I've managed to control with cognitive behavioral therapy have been muscular tension (especially in the face and neck), derealization (as sensory fog) and tingly arms.

But I've also been having recurring bladder problems that get markedly worse when I feel anxious, and in all of my Internet searching (a bad idea, I realize) nobody seems to mirror my symptoms. Urinary frequency seems to be the hallmark bladder-related anxiety symptom, but I keep getting into stretches where I barely feel like I have to urinate, and when I force myself to go to the bathroom, all I get is a weak stream followed by general discomfort. Occasionally I have mild pain after ejaculation, as well.

It isn't a constant thing - I can always get a good stream out right when I wake up, and sometimes there are stretches where I have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes, but it never feels as satisfying as when everything is in good health. I went to the doctor about this a few months ago when these symptoms first showed up, and he couldn't find any evidence of a UTI and concluded from a physical examination that I'm too young and healthy to be suffering from an enlarged or infected prostate.

I have been dealing with on-and-off constipation - itself a common anxiety symptom - so could this be the result of my bowel putting pressure on my bladder? Just curious because as the anxiety has mounted I've been having more and more trouble staying for the whole length of social gatherings, and this urinary uncertainty is just making it worse.

Charlene
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Hello toasterman,

This might sound a little too simple, but....are you avoiding drinking enough fluids, for fear that you might have to go to the bathroom constantly?

Not getting enough fluid intake on a daily basis will cause constipation. And it will cause a weak stream and a "sour" feeling in your bladder region. I can't comment on your ejaculation (I'm a she) ;) , however, I would imagine that it's not going to feel as satisfying if you're somewhat dehydrated.

Your urgency to keep your bladder empty is just part of your disorder. I'm guessing this helps you feel better prepared for "what might come".

Would you mind trying to drink 1.5 liters of water, in one day (not all at once). Try breaking it down into 4 segments. It won't hurt you, I promise. It will make you go pee though. But this is what we're aiming for, K? We want you to get your bladder nice and full, and we want you to go to the bathroom. You'll be alright.

Don't feel weird if you can't find anyone with the same body symptoms as you. It's not the symptom which is the disorder, it's our "worry" of the symptom. Anxiety can manifest itself in so many strange ways. Take comfort in knowing that so many others share this exact same disorder with you.

Will you check back and let me know how you're doing?

taosterman
07-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi Charlene,

Thanks for the advice - I'll admit that it's a mental cycle, in that worrying about urination leads to avoiding water, though I don't completely dehydrate myself. I'll drink more water than usual today and see how it pans out; I always manage to do it at some point during the day, so I'm not worried about my bladder rupturing or anything.

What ties it to anxiety for me is that it tends to be harder to go when I'm tensed out (especially in social situations). But I understand that anxiety is all about creating lasting symptoms out of ones that don't matter, so I'll try the increased intake and see if it's a way out.

Weeze Begs
08-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi,

I have very similar symptoms to you (although I too am a girl)

I have this panic to always go to the loo, I go when I leave the house, I go when I get to the shops, I go when I leave the shops, I go as soon as I am home.....you get the picture.

I hardly pee as I am going so often, even though I am feeling like I am going to burst. I can get up at least twice during the night.

BUT, when I am at home I can go 3 / 4 hours inbetween. We recently went on holiday and I was counting the miles between service stations.

I too had discomfort and that was because I was not drinking enough. If I knew I was going out (which was rare as I was too anxious to venture out) I would just have a drink in the morning and nothing until I got home which made it worse.

Now I know, all is well, as I am drinking loads and my confidence is back that I now make myself hold it if I am out.

I never had constipation, always the reverse, but again another symptom.

Hope this helps xx

taosterman
08-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Back to report in. Drinking more water has alleviated my worries about ability to urinate (I'm not going to explode), but there are still some lingering issues, and I think what I'm dealing with is chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

I just tried to post a link, but apparently I can't do that yet, so just look it up on Wikipedia if you're curious.

The primary lingering issue is that drinking even the slightest amount of alcohol will cause a burning sensation, though it eventually fades. CPPS appears to be closely tied to anxiety (as it's a nerve issue), and not fatal or debilitating, so I think I may have successfully mapped out what the hell has been going on lately.

Charlene
08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi taosterman,

I'm so pleased that you faced your fear and realized that your bladder can handle your water intake. So in that, congratulations for overcoming this particular worry! :D

The idea that you may have CPPS isn't too far fetched from the symptoms you described. While doctors can be good at diagnosis, they can only rely on what we tell them to be our "complaints", and from there, have us take the appropriate tests. Now that you have seemed to pinpoint your issue, it would be a good idea to go back to your doctor and tell him that you suspect you might have CPPS. From what I understand though, CPPS is very difficult to diagnose as there aren't really any tests for it. Still, it sounds like it's not all that uncommon amongst men and I think it's worth going back to your doctor and informing him of this particular hunch. You might be right.

Thanks for getting back to us. Your particular symptom was a first to me (as I'm female) but there may be other men out there experiencing the same sensations you are but have been too embarrassed to mention it. You brought awareness to it - - and that's great! You done good buddy! :D