PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect with a therapist

kwmwriter
07-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey,

I'm seeing a therapist for the first time on Thursday and have no idea what to expect.

What's it like?

stumbs
07-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I use to see one for depression, and an aoda one, bascially they just asked me questions, i responded, they'd ask "and how does that make you feel" one had me keep a journal and record how i was feeling using mad,sad,glad.
I thought it was a big waste of time, maybe they werent the best people to see lol

Robbed
07-29-2009, 01:47 AM
I use to see one for depression, and an aoda one, bascially they just asked me questions, i responded, they'd ask "and how does that make you feel" one had me keep a journal and record how i was feeling using mad,sad,glad.
I thought it was a big waste of time, maybe they werent the best people to see lol

I think that, while therapists are a dime a dozen, good therapists are rarer than gold. And while any competent auto mechanic can change a transmission, not just any therapist can really help you. This is a BIG part of why I don't look at therapy as the answer for anxiety disorder. Simply put, in the time it takes you to actually find a good one, you can do LOTS on your own to get better. Also, look out for drug-pushing therapists. While therapists generally can't prescribe meds, they can become quite pushy when it comes to getting you to see someone who CAN prescribe them.

Weeze Begs
08-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I have been seeing a shrink for 2 months, and I am loving it. I come home after a session on a high.
There are some good ones and I am glad I have one, but I guess there are 10 more bad ones to a good one.
Have a few sessions and if you are not connecting or think this is a waste of time, don't give up, try another one.
I am not epecting him to cure me, but he is definately asking my questions that get me thinking about my road to recovery.
He also has a better understanding as he hears other stories every day so can give me better support than a friend.
Use it as a tool to help your recovery rather than as a cure and I am sure you will do just fine x