PDA

View Full Version : Doctors Appointment tomorrow!

07-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi all, i have been suffering from social anxiety for maybe the past ten years and have only recently realised what it was. I always just thought i was really shy!

It started to get me down and i really wanted to do something about it as it has ruined relationships and job opportunites more times than i care to remember.

So i finally made an appointment to see the doctor. I used the cover of having a wart to get seen to (which i have) but then i'm going to bring up the anxiety issue.

Any advice on how to put it across to the doctor? Will they know what i'm talking about? I mentioned it to a workplace nurse years ago and she just told me to stop worrying about it!!!

Knawx
07-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Any doctor who is not completely aware of anxiety and social dissorders should not be a Dr.

I'm lucky to have a Doctor who actually has anxiety himself, so it's very easy to talk to him about it.

You will probably be surprised how good you feel after you talk to your Dr. about it. Not only will he know what you're talking about, but he will give you options. It may be medication, or he may urge you to try therapy. Either way you will be better off after your visit then you were before.

07-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Knawx, wow you were lucky getting a doc with anxiety. I'm kinda nervous as i don't really know what to say to the doctor. but i suppose if i just tell him/her what i have experienced they will take it from there.

Also going to get some magnesium and amino acids tomorrow and give that a go.

I'll update tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Knawx
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Knawx, wow you were lucky getting a doc with anxiety. I'm kinda nervous as i don't really know what to say to the doctor. but i suppose if i just tell him/her what i have experienced they will take it from there.

Also going to get some magnesium and amino acids tomorrow and give that a go.

I'll update tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Yeah, don't worry. Things will go well for you. Just tell the doctor straight up that you have been having anxiety, simple as that. :D

07-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Well the Doctor was really helpful. It was hard telling him about it but he knew what i was talking about straight away.

He asked me about drinking and reckoned my anxiety could be caused by binge drinking! Oh no!! So i have to not drink anymore than 3-4 pints in one day for the next 2 weeks then i'm back to see the doc again.

He also gave me a questionnaire to fill in with questions about how anxious i feel in different situations.

Glad i went and feel better knowing that i'm doing something about it. Got some manesium supplement and amino acids so i'm going to start taking them too.

CindyE
08-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I used to drink quite a bit at times, and I really started noticing anxiety the morning after! Sometimes I wasn't even anxious about anything, but it was there. Other times, maybe I was feeling guilty about drinking too much, doing something irresponsible, or maybe saying something stupid. When I was younger I was shy, and I thought alcohol was my friend. A light beer, glass of wine, or two seems to be OK, but I have heard that some can't even do that.

Wes
09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Drinking tends to increase anxiety, alcohol being a stimulant. And its not the only one, there are also other substances that doctors recommend people with anxiety moderate, since they stimulate your organism (like sugar and coffee). It is a pain having to be on your toes around things that you like, but at least one knows it is a way to help reduce anxiety, even if only a bit (how much varies with each person).