PDA

View Full Version : An update after talking to my doctor – therapy?

learningtobreathe
07-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Morning everyone!

Yesterday I met with my doctor to discuss my anxiety, followed by (of course) several health concerns that I have. I have to give this guy credit, because I’m sure part of him wants to just yell ‘You’re FINE” at me, but he doesn’t he runs tests and takes things seriously, which is great. At the end, he said that I am in great health, and said that my anxiety is so ironic, because I have always had good health. But, as everyone knows, that doesn’t really matter when you have health anxiety.

We talked about medication, and I explained to him in more detail why I don’t like this route. To explain to you all my feelings (and please note that this is only for my treatment plan and I do feel that it works for many people), when I have been on medication for my anxiety, I feel a severe sense of detachment. On one hand, I feel like I am less anxious. But I also feel like I don’t really care about anything. It sounds bizarre, and I’m not sure if anyone can relate, but I felt that it was SO unnatural, and I worried that it would have a worse effect on me and my loved ones than the anxiety itself. He told me that in my case he did feel I may be a good candidate to explore other paths, and he said he has a counselor in site that I can speak with at any time.

Knowing that I always feel a bit better after speaking with my doctor, I’m seriously thinking this could be helpful. Has anyone else had any good experiences with this?

rejanette
07-17-2009, 09:02 AM
I was on the path to medications at first but Medications made it worst for me... First i do not like to take medications and the side effects were so bad on me. I changed doctor in March My doctor was not doing so much for Anxiety and Did not explained me what was anxiety in general so i went to another doctor and she told me that she should try Therapy... It really helped me a lot I used to go every week now every other week and i have seen so much improvements in myself that I' m so glad i went even if at first I have my reserves.
good luck
Rejane

dtrotter
07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Medication is never the answer. I always believe that medication is as useless as wasting your money on things that won't cure you. I always find talking to psychologist or going thru therapy helps me more.