PDA

View Full Version : Marijauna and Anxiety

Canary
06-30-2009, 06:13 PM
What do you think based on your experience?

leaving the topic open for you guys

northstar
07-01-2009, 01:42 AM
not based on my own personal experience of this drug but based on countless people i have seen on anxiety forums and on information that i have read: marijuana is not reccommended for anxiety sufferers, it tends to worsen an existing problem or to actually begin an anxiety disorder in someone who didn't suffer before.

so it's best to stay away if you want to recover from anxiety :)

Robbed
07-01-2009, 03:59 PM
not based on my own personal experience of this drug but based on countless people i have seen on anxiety forums and on information that i have read: marijuana is not reccommended for anxiety sufferers, it tends to worsen an existing problem or to actually begin an anxiety disorder in someone who didn't suffer before.

so it's best to stay away if you want to recover from anxiety :)

This is true abut marijuana. I should also add that the effects can vary widely with the strain of the plant, the conditions the plant was grown under, the time you take it (yes, the same exact weed can have a different effect on a different day!), and the method of administration (smoking, vaporizer, oral). Pretty much ANYONE with any kind of experience using the drug will tell you this. So the bottom line is that using marijuana as a remedy for anxiety disorder is risky.

Hanino
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Using green for anxiety? Um not a good idea.

NigelWalmsley
07-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Had my first panic attack at 19 from smoking pot. After that I had an attack every time I smoked and it didn't take too long before I understood that part of my life was over. I'm actually glad about it too because it was making me lazy at the time. Of course you don't realize it. Haven't smoked in almost 30 years. I'm 48 now and still fighting anxiety once in a while. Usually when I'm under a lot of stress. I'll go periods of six months or more without trouble.

Interesting, I sometimes thought that if not for the pot, I would never have had any trouble with anxiety. Like it created a permanent condition. Of course the other possibility is that I was just predisposed to anxiety to begin with and the pot just made it come to the front sooner. Who knows? I would definitively stay away from that stuff if you have any predisposition to anxiety. Think of yourself as blessed. I used to tell people, "No thanks, I'm actually allergic to it." And you might be too.

coops025
07-06-2009, 03:18 AM
I have read this is one of the main causes or De-realisation, thats pretty much all i know as i dont do drugs.

fernandogress
08-04-2009, 12:47 AM
I'd even venture to say that treating marijuana as a drug like Xanax, or any other drug used to "treat" anxiety or depression, is actually why some people report marijuana making their symptoms worse. They expect marijuana to cover their anxiety instead of make them think about it.
I personally feel that a lot of people could benefit from a qualified marijuana therapist. Surprisingly I can't find any info of any such therapy existing.

coops025
08-04-2009, 04:38 AM
It would appear after reading many post from people using this, that it actually does make Anxiety much worse and is also known to trigger it.

cherry_soleil
08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Absolutely NOT! I took marijuana and it made the echoing symptom I have 10X worse. If you have echoing problems do NOT smoke.

northstar
08-05-2009, 06:36 AM
I'd even venture to say that treating marijuana as a drug like Xanax, or any other drug used to "treat" anxiety or depression, is actually why some people report marijuana making their symptoms worse. They expect marijuana to cover their anxiety instead of make them think about it.
I personally feel that a lot of people could benefit from a qualified marijuana therapist. Surprisingly I can't find any info of any such therapy existing.

i don't think the problem is that people use the drug to treat the anxiety, the problem is that marijuana actually INDUCES anxiety, it makes people panic. if you google it you'll find that a LOT of people are wondering why they had a panic attack after they smoked some not wondering why it's not making their anxiety go away - it's because it's known to either create anxiety problems or make an existing one worse.

using it as a therapy sounds like a crazy idea to me when so many people come to this board wondering why it makes them feel bad and i would STRONGLY encourage anyone enquiring about it to stay away from it.