PDA

View Full Version : Mecessary to taper Xanax?

pamn
06-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm going to be switching from Xanax to Klonopin & wonder if I really need to taper the Xanax considering my daily dosage over the years has NEVER been over 1 mg, & most of the tiime has been under .5 mg. Can I switch right over? Take my 1/4 Xanax for sleep at night & then take 1/4 of a .5 mg of Klonopin in the morning?

Pam

fernandogress
07-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Replaced the 1mg. of Xanax XR with .5 mg of Alprazolam 2'x a day, morning and night, to prevent daytime withdrawals. The pills are scored, and can be tapered accordingly when ready.
Replaced the existing .5mg. alprazolam that I've been breaking down to .25mg since March 1, with a script for .25 mg.I worked with my psych and the pharmacist. The pharmacist showed me the doses of pills and how each one was scored, and we made a game plan there as well.The first consideration in the use of Xanax is the condition for which it is being prescribed. It is not a good drug for people who have personality disorders as these people are more at risk for ““disinhibition”” or atypical reactions where the person feels intoxicated and often acts intoxicated or aggressive. It is not a good drug as a sleeping.Tolerance to sleep inducing effects occurs after three nights and after that dosage escalation and dependency become problems. It is good for the panic attacks, clusters of panic attacks, or severe anxiety with a lot of somatic symptoms. Usually this is found with reflux and Xanax is even better if the clinical picture includes reflux.