PDA

View Full Version : [original topic lost]

Robbed
06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
If there's money to be made by offering 'treatment' for a 'disorder', the 'disorder' will be invented. And that is precisely what is happening here. The problem, of course, is that names like 'oppositional defiant disorder' often make the problem sound SO much bigger and less changeable than it really is. And perhaps this is the point, as it makes people more likely to submit to whatever 'treatment' is offered. But the fact of the matter is that SO many of these problems are simply normal human behavior. I mean, a teenager defying her parents is now called a 'disorder'? Get real. Not to mention that, when it comes to these sorts of things, the solution is pretty much NEVER found in a bottle of pills. Especially the highly imperfect antidepressants that exist today.

Of course, social anxiety disorder is perhaps another such disorder. Now don't get me wrong. Social anxiety can be a serious problem. I probably have what could be called social anxiety disorder to at least some degree myself. But to call it a 'disease'? I just don't look at it that way. Saying that I need to be medicated? Social skills, confidence, and self-esteem are just not things you can get from a bottle of pills.