PDA

View Full Version : BE THANKFUL FOR THE SYMPTONS U DONT HAVE!

MR.ALWAYSFREAKINOUT
06-18-2009, 10:52 PM
SO........ I THOUGHT IT WAS OVER FOR ME THE ANXIETY THAT IS. I WAS IN BAD SHAPE A year and a half ago I HAD SYMPTONS FROM NUMBNESS AND PAINS EVERYWHERE TO ELECTRIC SPARKS OR SHOCKS IN MY TONGUE TO SYMPTONS I CREATED,LOL. I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY IT WAS HAPPENING TO ME AND NO ONE ELSE, MY FAMILY THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY AND SO DID OTHER PEOPLE IN MY LIFE THEY JUST COULDNT UNDERSTAND WHAT I WAS GOING THRU. THERE WAS TIMES I WENT TO THE ER THREE TO FOUR TIMES A WEEK STARTING GOING TO DIFFERENT HOSPITALS BECAUSE I WAS SO EMBARRASED. FINALLY AFTER TRYING DIFFERENT MEDICINES LEXAPRO SAVED MY LIFE AND I STAYED ON IT FOR A GOOD YEAR AND THEN ONE DAY MY SCRIPT WAS UP AND I JUST NEVER REFILLED IT I WANTED TO SEE IF IT WAS OVER AND IT WAS. I Had no side effects from quitting lexapro i felt great didnt even really think about anxiety. well it has been 6 months since my last pill and its back and its not joking around with me this time,lol. the last week or so i have been trembling in my sleep, i feel like im walking funny and my vision is so weird but im not having the full blown attacks i used to have just the weird pains and the worrying . well going to see the doc tommorrow and i think im gonna get back on the lexapro. i jut am wondering if anyone else thought they might of beat there anxiety problem but really didnt? and if neone quit smoking and seen any improvement in there anxiety?

Robbed
06-18-2009, 11:30 PM
I hate to say this to you. But I think that what you describe is the consequence of treating anxiety disorder with medication. In other words, from my observation, being on antidepressants like Lexapro may bring relief of some degree to some people some of the time. But that relief is never permanent. Generally, when the medication is discontinued, anxiety symptoms return, and often worse than before. This is one of the reasons why I have never been a believer in medications (possible side effects and psychological implications of being medicated are other reasons I don't like meds). Generally speaking, this sort of thing is ALOT less likely to happen to people who treat their anxiety using cognitive methods. Of course, if you go back on Lexapro, it will probably (but not certainly) make you feel better (since it did before). But you will probably have to take it in the long term if you wish to stay (relatively) well. And then, there is always the concern that it will eventually 'poop out' (as antidepressants often do), necessitating a switch to another antidepressant that might not work as well. For all these reasons, I would recommend trying to deal with anxiety disorder by other means. I believe this is the better way to go if a normal, anxiety-free life is what you are after. Just keep in mind that it is not easy, and will probably take MUCH longer to make you feel better than Lexapro. But the long-term results are MUCH better.

As for quitting smoking, I have never smoked. So I can't vouch for the effectiveness of quitting. BUT, several people here have said that quitting smoking has ultimately helped significantly with anxiety disorder. Not to mention all the benefits of quitting as far as your physical health is concerned. Just keep in mind that quitting smoking will worsen your anxiety in the short term. So you are probably best off quitting by doing a slow taper rather than cold turkey. ESPECIALLY if you are a VERY heavy smoker and/or have been smoking for a long time.

Georgec
06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree, medication is not meant to be the only treatment at the time. First of all, medication is only short term. 6 months could have been the time the medication was in your system. There is not substitute for therapy that helps you work through your stress causing problems and other aspects of your life that you can't handle.

When I had anxiety, for some reason one day I just had no symptoms. This went on for maybe 2 months and then they came right back worse that before. So, I do suppose this happens. I think it depends on what level of stress you have at the time.

Thank You,

George

Robbed
06-19-2009, 03:15 PM
6 months could have been the time the medication was in your system.

Lexapro is out of your system in a few days.

Georgec
06-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm sure you know better than I do. I have also heard of anxiety coming and going as well without medication. I'm sure some external factor caused the change you just have not figured out what it was.

Thank You,

George Christodoulou