PDA

View Full Version : So many doc's giving SSRI's for anxiety..

TinfoilxTouch
06-14-2009, 03:31 AM
i just read the boards and see that 90% of people who are on benzo are also on SSRI drugs for their situation.

I tried Zoloft, had nightmare side effects for a month, and made it clear to both my primary care and pdoc that I would never take them again.

I moved to longer acting benzos (valium) and Buspar, and have been great ever since. I wonder if most of these doctors aren't just giving SSRI meds to patients because they are non-controlled and present less liability for the doc. There is no reason for someone to have all the awful sife effects of Zoloft when you can have no side effects with another anxiety drug. Given ther are some people who will abuse, but really how few of us is that?

Robbed
06-14-2009, 05:34 AM
The fact that SSRIs are non-controlled is certainly one reason why MDs prefer to prescribe them over benzos. But money is certainly another. This is probably a BIG reason why they always prescribe the newest SSRIs out there. Newer SSRIs are not really better than older ones. But pharmaceutical companies financially encourage doctors to prescribe drugs still under patent over generics (and ALL benzos are available as generics) for obvious reasons.