PDA

View Full Version : is this a panic attack?

doingmybest
06-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm suffered from anxiety for about 4 years. It is mostly health related. For the most part I have been able to control it, or at least deal with it without going crazy. I'm not on any meds.

Well today I had an okay day. Except this afternoon I started to feel anxious (which isn't unnormal for me). Before I knew it I was getting these heart palpitations or at least I think they are heart palpitations. It feels as though my chest is dropping out of my body and the wind is knocked out of me. Now, I've have these before but they've gone away. I've never had them one after another like this. I bet I had 20 in 3 hours. My question is could this be a panic attack?

salekt
06-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I am in no way a professional or anything, but yes it sounds like a panic attack to me. Just keep assuring yourself you will be fine until you get through it. Reading through other peoples experiences and advice on here will also help.

coops025
06-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Yes it sounds like it. Ive had this experiance many times but since i stopped drinking anything with caffine in all has been much much better.

I had one cup of ground coffe from Mc Donalds the other week and BAM there was a panic attack although it was only a mild one.

Heart palps could also mean a lack of Magnesium too, try some suppliments and see how you go on.

(HAWK)
06-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Sorry to say but i bet you,i've had them just like that for a whole week! :tongue: :shock:

doingmybest
06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Thank you for your feedback. It helps to know that you aren't the only one.

Georgec
06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Is this like a fluttery feeling?

Some people have mitral valve prolapse which can actually cause anxiety in some people. It's scary because sometimes it causes your heart to race. In most cases this condition is harmless. It basically causes some blood to return through the valve that let it into the heart. It causes the fluttery feeling in the chest.

On the other hand, sometimes people with anxiety think they have this condition and they don't...

Thanks,

George

Giz
06-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I used to get that feeling you described nearly every day. My father tried doing food avoidance tests in case I had an intolerance, we cut out wheat, then dairy, then eggs.. But I would still end up doubled over, feeling like my rib cage was being crushed, unable to breathe.. I was treated for stomach ulcers..In the end it turned out I was intolerant to caffeine. The one thing my dad hadnt cut out of my diet was tea & caffienated drinks.. (In fact i had been taking solpadiene for the pain, and they contain caffeine!)

When I described that feeling to a pdoc he called it an anxiety attack. And considering caffeine is a stimulant (as in it stimulates the release of adrenaline, "stressing" the body out) it makes perfect sense that this intolerance would provoke such a reaction.

A panic attack is slightly different.. I had one of those on the way into work one day. I was sitting on the train and I started to feel as though I was really dizzy. I didnt know which way was up or down, I felt like I was incredibly drunk, I couldnt get a deep breath, my heart was pounding, and I was convinced I was dying-in fact, it was like I was drowning while sitting on a train.. When I stood up to get off the train I had to hold onto the wall. I went to a bathroom and threw up. And I couldnt stand up for a couple of hours. I then had vertigo for 3 days after. I was taken to a doctor who said that I had had a panic attack. I am extremely grateful to say that I have remained free of those ever since.

Dunno what your eating habits are like, but if you find that you are getting these attacks within 2-4 hours of eating or drinking you may want to look at your eating habits-perhaps keep a diary of what food you have eaten and when you have an attack to see if there is a relationship between the two. (Also, watch your blood sugar levels! If your blood sugar is all over the place, then this can have the same "stressing" effect on the body as any other stimulant. If you find you get drowsy after eating, or get dizzy or irritable after 6 hours without food then you may be having blood sugar problems)

I was put on a drug for stomach ulcers when caffeine was the problem. I was put on anti depressants when I needed to watch my blood sugar and get more vitamin B and magnesium.. So all Im saying is, look into the cause of your problem rather than just attacking the symptoms and your problem will be easier to resolve.

And heres to seeing the back of those pesky anxiety attacks!!