PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what kind of anxiety this is.....

d1nonly
06-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm kind of new to this but glad I found it. Just looking for some insight. I've had anxiety for many years starting from early teens and I'm now 31. My anxiety has changed and shown itself in many different ways and different symptoms but I won't go through all the stuff I've experienced over the years. However, I would like some of your opinions about what I'm feeling these days.

Theres a few situations that make me extremely anxious and I try to avoid them at all costs. The first one is travelling in a vehicle with other people. Doesnt really matter who it is but it really gets to me. Also doesnt matter whether im driving or not. If I'm by myself, it doesnt bother me much. Also, the distance matters as well. The further a trip it is, the more anxiety. Obviously, this is embarrassing so I don't tell my fam, friends very much about it. About 8 yrs ago, I was driving a cab while in school and I had my first severe panic attack while driving a customer somewhere and I think it has been in my head ever since. But I've had good spurts where I have been able to deal. The only thing that really calms me down to the point where I don't care is alcohol and obviously I don't wanna be drunk and driving so........

I also have a fear of flying and get very nervous before interviews....... I think that covers my big ones. Like most of us, I think the anticipatory anxiety is worse than the situations.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

fernandogress
06-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I am also with you.I appreciate the information you have laid out here.I'd be grateful too if someone could share his experiences.

RobinS
06-09-2009, 01:56 AM
First, don't use alcohol to calm you down when you want to drive a car - that's the worst thing you can do in this case.

I am no expert at all but I'd say you have a certain type of paranoia. Have you ever thought of trying therapy? I think you need to talk about it with a therapist and find the reasons for your anxiety.

Nikkie04
06-09-2009, 02:06 AM
What you have written is very similar to what i used to have, mine has now changed from what you are experiencing to the opposite, i dont like driving anywhere on my own, im ok around town but further than that im not good. What you need to do is confide in a family member or a very close friend, and then start doing small trips with them in the car with you, such as just driving down the road and back then after a while try to go around the block, then just stretch the trrips a little further each time. Dont drink as (a) you will get caught drink driving and (b) you shouldnt mix alcohol with the medication.
IT WILL GET BETTER

d1nonly
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
thanks for the input guys. Funny thing is, i just bought a motorcycle and I've been driving my girlfriend around everywhere whenever the weathers nice and I have absolutely zero anxiety doing that. So the car is a major issue but motorcycle isn't. I know its weird. Probably has something to do with people observing me and me making a fool out of myself in front of anyone. Not sure why I don't feel like that on a motorcycle. I'm sure my plane phobia has something to do with that also. Its not so much that I feel like Its going to crash but more to do with having anxiety while on the plane and feeling trapped and everyone observing me. I sometimes get this feeling on a train too.

I have been considering therapy and I think I'm going to do it.