PDA

View Full Version : anxiety

porto7
05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Does any medication work?How do you stop the physical symtoms and the anxious thoughts?Is cognitive therapy any good or psychotherapy?Should you keep seeing counsellors or avoid them?

tmays
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I was in a cbt group and if you do the homework you will find it works pretty well.

RobinS
05-29-2009, 06:41 AM
I think taking pills or pharamceuticals is always the second best option. Try therapy first. Go to a doctor and tell them about your kind of anxiety, the symptoms and all the other problems related to it. I am sure the doctor will point you in the right direction and give you advice on the therapy options.

jennismortal
05-30-2009, 02:27 AM
I also think.Anxiety is a feeling of nervousness, apprehension, fear, or worry. Problem anxiety interferes with the sufferer's ability to sleep or otherwise function. It is noteworthy that teenagers are particularly susceptible to having irritability as a symptom of a number of emotional problems, including anxiety.Anxiety may occur without a cause, or it may occur based on a real situation but may be out of proportion to what would normally be expected.

tmays
06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
I think taking pills or pharamceuticals is always the second best option. Try therapy first. Go to a doctor and tell them about your kind of anxiety, the symptoms and all the other problems related to it. I am sure the doctor will point you in the right direction and give you advice on the therapy options.

I agree and good advice.

sport mad
06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi all,

I am heading away on holiday soon, i have bad anxiety about it, i know nothing will happen to me, but i feel i will crack up and this is stressing out more and i will worry how i will get home.

I will try and exercise regularly , but i think i need techniques, to get these worrying thoughts out of my head.

I have been suffering anxiety for years, and have managed it well.

Any advice?

I do not want to not going on holiday beacause of anxiety?

edwardme
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi porto7,

Just keep in mind when choosing CBT or medication that CBT is generally 12 week course, and then freedom :D , however if your anxiety/panic/depression is really severe, doing a course of pharmacological treatment either first or in conjunction with the CBT might lift you up enough to be able to be more fully involved with the CBT treatment and give you the ability to absorb more of the CBT modules, thus speeding up your recovery.

Good luck (btw, CBT rocks!)

Edward

tmays
06-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi porto7,

Just keep in mind when choosing CBT or medication that CBT is generally 12 week course, and then freedom :D , however if your anxiety/panic/depression is really severe, doing a course of pharmacological treatment either first or in conjunction with the CBT might lift you up enough to be able to be more fully involved with the CBT treatment and give you the ability to absorb more of the CBT modules, thus speeding up your recovery.

Edward

I echo everything Edward had to say above!

Sports mad, pick up a copy of an introductory cbt book like the one we used in my cbt group by sam obitz and read it on your trip and try and start doing the thought countering exercise called a TEA form they start to work pretty fast after you start to get how to do them and are really basic once you understand how they work. Have a great holiday!

sport mad
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
thanks so much for replying, really apprectiate some one taking time to reply, could you give the title of the book by sam obitz
thanks

tmays
06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Sports Mad,
It's called Been there, Done that? Do This!
www.tao3.com (http://www.tao3.com)

Be well my friend!

Robbed
06-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi porto7,

Edward

A couple of problems here. First of all, to say that you are going to be anxiety condition-free after a 12 week CBT course would not be accurate. MOST people take MUCH longer than this to recover from anxiety disorder. Might some people recover in 12 weeks. Maybe. But when this recovery does NOT happen on this time frame for most people, people are likely to give up on the methods, even though they might actually be helpful. The fact is that complete recovery is completely possible for most anxiety sufferers, and will even occur without intervention of any kind for many. BUT, it will almost never happen quickly.

As for taking meds to 'give you a lift' for CBT courses, I highly recommend that anyone thinking of doing this hold off on the meds for a while. Try CBT first WITHOUT meds. Things might work out better than you think, without the risks of meds. And antidepressants ARE risky medications. While some people may find relief in them, SO many other people who try taking antidepressants wish they never heard of them. Side effects can be downright scary. And the drugs can be as addictive as heroin for some people. And, unless you have tried taking antidepressants before, you don't know how good or bad your experience with them will be. Honestly, it was just seeing what other people I knew went through on SSRIs that has kept me away from them, and encouraged me to tell others to do the same.

bethann11374
06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
OK...I hope I dont sound dumb..but what is CBT?

tmays
06-29-2009, 07:10 PM
cbt= cognitive behavioral therapy.

The dumb ones are the ones who don't ask questions and stay in the dark ;)

tmays
06-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi porto7,

Edward

A couple of problems here. First of all, to say that you are going to be anxiety condition-free after a 12 week CBT course would not be accurate. MOST people take MUCH longer than this to recover from anxiety disorder. Might some people recover in 12 weeks. Maybe. But when this recovery does NOT happen on this time frame for most people, people are likely to give up on the methods, even though they might actually be helpful. The fact is that complete recovery is completely possible for most anxiety sufferers, and will even occur without intervention of any kind for many. BUT, it will almost never happen quickly.

As for taking meds to 'give you a lift' for CBT courses, I highly recommend that anyone thinking of doing this hold off on the meds for a while. Try CBT first WITHOUT meds. Things might work out better than you think, without the risks of meds. And antidepressants ARE risky medications. While some people may find relief in them, SO many other people who try taking antidepressants wish they never heard of them. Side effects can be downright scary. And the drugs can be as addictive as heroin for some people. And, unless you have tried taking antidepressants before, you don't know how good or bad your experience with them will be. Honestly, it was just seeing what other people I knew went through on SSRIs that has kept me away from them, and encouraged me to tell others to do the same.

Lot of good points here robbed. Thanks.

tmays
08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Just passing through and wondering how everyone's summer is going? Mine has gone by too fast :? But I am feeling great.