PDA

View Full Version : Drink too much?

stressd
05-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Anyone drink too much to get rid of anxiety?

dtrotter
06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Anyone drink too much to get rid of anxiety?
Well, it will get rid of your anxiety during the moment when you are tipsy or drunk. When you wake up the next day you will feel even worthless or depress. Alcohol is a depressant btw.

Robbed
06-28-2009, 06:05 AM
Alcohol is a depressant btw.

So are most antidepressants.

07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I definitly drink to mask symptoms of social anxiety. When i am drunk there is absolutely no anxiety whatsoever! It is such a nice break, although i realise that i can't rely on alcohol.

It makes me wonder how many alcoholics start off by using alcohol to mask other problems.

Knawx
07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Just remember that the feeling you achieve when intoxicated can be achieved without alcohol. It's all about training our brains to produce the right chemicals.

Obviously this sounds like something only a Jedi could do, but I've been working on it for about 4 years now and have achieved some pretty amazing results with concentration alone.

CindyE
08-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I have, and still do occasionally. Probably the thing that keeps me from doing it lots more is that I'm pretty health-conscious, and I also get really bad hangovers! Then there is more anxiety later, when you are all hungover, feeling guilty and mad at yourself, and wondering how embarrassing you really were in front of people! That usually hits me early the next AM. I'm kinda having a hard time avoiding alcohol right now, as hubby is on a beer kick, and there's always some right in front of me.

un4ad
08-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Anyone drink too much to get rid of anxiety?Alcohol is a depressant btw.

To clear it up: a "depressant" drug doesn't mean it causes depression. A depressant drug is one that "depresses" or lessens the a function or activity of a specific part of the body or mind.

And I have tons of experience drinking idly. It doesn't help. In fact, it makes you dependent, where you NEED it and if you don't get it you'll get even MORE anxious than you usually are. You brain starts using alcohol to function, and alcoholics can die from quitting cold turkey. It's called delirium tremens.

Not to mention, it ruins your liver, shrinks your brain, can cause cancer, and messes with your sexual hormones too.

Try exercise; it relieves stress, improves physique, and makes endorphins that make you feel good. Even a little walking will help. Or if you want, something cool like martial arts or sports because it's more fun.

CindyE
08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
To clear it up: a "depressant" drug doesn't mean it causes depression. A depressant drug is one that "depresses" or lessens the a function or activity of a specific part of the body or mind.
I appreciate that explanation, I never understood that term!

markko
11-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Stressd,

Yeah. I think it's something that many of us toy with for a while.

Thing is, it's not a lasting way of coping and it usually ends up pretty messy. Don't go there, and if you already have, it's good that you recognise it now while you are still in control and able to do something about.

Good luck,

Markko

Robbed
11-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Anyone drink too much to get rid of anxiety?Alcohol is a depressant btw.

Great point. It's just amazing how even the so-called professionals don't get this one right. Yes, I know that they are trying to get people to clean up their act when it comes to drinking. But saying that depressants CAUSE depression is just plain mis-information. ESPECIALLY since those 'wonder drug' SSRI antidepressants are also depressants. Yet, you will NEVER hear them say this.

sharp
01-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Hiya, i used to actually drnk before i went out the house just so id be confident when i met up with the ppl i was going out with. I used to go over the top tho and sometimes make a complete ass of meself but i think it was that i kept a lot of things inside me when sober that when i drank id let it all out.
i also found the courage to deal with my problems when drunk, ie my boyfriend might piss me off and i might not say anyting then as soon as iv had a drink ill let it all out which obviously leads to arguments.

alexandros
01-30-2010, 09:00 PM
i drink every night a bottle of wine or some before going to sleep...when i go out, i drink a lot...you get less anxious, it's true, u think less...but sometimes i just end lying in the floor or having a real bad stomach ache, totally drunk, incapable of having a good conversation, just shouting bullshit things...also, the next day i feel like shit all day long.

toughgirl
03-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Yes I know that alcohol is a major DEPRESSANT. And it makes me feel like shit the next day, I know you can embarass the hell out of yourself while intoxicated, it put's on weight I'm trying to lose.
BUT I STILL DRINK
I've more than a few drinks before going out to calm myself down but let's just say I have too much to live for now. I have a drink once a week to relax after a stressful week. I think that's ok.

MikeJsimon
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
if you're like me and enjoy drinking beer and hanging out, then learn your limit. Drink slowly throughout the evening / night. Don't chug your beer to get drunk faster. Drink slowly. I know it can be hard to stop once you've hit the point of "I don't care if I feel crappy tomorrow!" but you'll have to quit hours before you go to bed so you can sober up. Bring water with you. After your last beer or alcoholic beverage, crack open a bottle of water and drink away. Drink as much water as you can before you go to bed and at least 3 tall glasses of water the next day. Water helps and food helps (if you can eat it). I'm still planning to cut way down on my alcohol intake to reduce my anxiety. I hate anxiety and drinking makes it worse.

Quoted from:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Drinking-Alcohol-Increase-Anxiety?&id=870597

toughgirl
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Yes, MikeJSimon, I have learnt what my limit is and from now on I'm sticking to it :)
I think the happier you are (sober) the less you feel the need to drink anyway.
So now I'm mainly drinking to relax and have fun without exceeding my limit.
It's taken over 13 years for me to come to this realisation, though! :D

I've been to hell and back through drinking way too much. Lost friends, made a dickhead of myself, slept with men I would never have been with sober... Though I'm lucky it could have been way worse, I know. I'm just glad I worked it out b4 it was too late. :)

And my real friend stuck around and wanted to help me. I'm really greatful for that.
Drinking sure does make anxiety worse, plus if you take meds you need to be careful when you take them after a night of drinking. Sometimes I don't take them the next day and that night I have really weird, disturbing, sometimes upsetting dreams.
XXToughgirlxXXXX
XXToughgirlxXX

MikeJsimon
03-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes, MikeJSimon, I have learnt what my limit is and from now on I'm sticking to it :)
XXToughgirlxXXXX
XXToughgirlxXX

You could try meditation techniques or take a warm bath right before bed. Also, if you insist on drinking caffeine, make sure that you are not drinking any more of it after three in the afternoon. This way, your body will be able to relax much easier.

Quoted from:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Anxiety-Help-Techniques-For-Managing-and-Controlling-Symptoms&id=3367996

anxietyguy
03-26-2010, 02:54 PM
hi there

i always founf that drinking too much just prolongs my anxiety the next day

in my blog i talk about other methods that have helped me

fromthatshow
03-29-2010, 09:29 PM
I almost went to rehab for drinking not too long ago. The ONLY reason I drink is to get rid of anxiety.

wim
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
I have used alcohol to self medicate as it is called and still do . I am now in a period of heavy drinking and can testify that , in the long run , its all but beneficial . Allthough alcohol is in many places a socially accepted drug it is hard drug , very detrimental to mind and body and highly addictive . It has become a problem of its own in my life . Try to find other ways to relax Id say . It is a known problem that people who suffer anxiety often resort to substance use which can result in abuse .