PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure with anxiety

ArmyWife
05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Does anyone else experience this? I check my BP at home daily because every time I went into the DR my BP was high. But sometimes when I check it at home its high the first time, and then the second time its normal. I get very anxious now when taking my BP because I am so afraid it will be high. Does this happen to anyone else? They want to put me on BP meds, but I don't think its possible to get an accurate reading of my blood pressure due to my anxiety. Any thoughts?

Giz
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Im sorry but I have to ask one or two kinda personal questions here..

1. Are you over wieght?
2. Do you eat a healthy, nutritious balanced diet?
3. Do you exercise regularly?
4. Do you do something daily to try and relax?

A lot of the time medications are drugs designed to treat a symptom, like the anxiety or high BP, without looking into the cause behind the problem.
High Blood pressure can be caused by many things, most of which relate to diet. (ie, too much saturated fat, not enough antioxidant vitamins, mineral depletion, stimulants..etc).The reason your doctor does not talk to you about this is because its not their job, they are not trained in nutrition, just medicine.
Anxiety can also be caused by many things diet related..Some of which overlap with the above, blood sugar imbalances, stimulants, vitamin deficiencies, mineral deficiencies.. A diet lacking in whole foods..

And then you need to be moving.. If youre not getting out there in the sunshine and working up a sweat then youre not releasing your own feel good chemicals.. And it will help you to rest better, as you will have used up the energy your body is producing..

Garlic is really good for blood pressure.. Make sure you eat loads of it..
But seriously, before you get too far down the drug route, go see a nutritional therapist. If you attack the cause, you wont have to worry about the symptoms anymore..

jennismortal
05-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Anxiety doesn't cause long-term high blood pressure. But episodes of Anxiety can cause dramatic, temporary spikes in your blood pressure. Almost every day, they can cause just as much damage to your blood vessels, heart and kidneys as can chronic high blood pressure. If those temporary episodes occur frequently, such as every day or addition, when you have anxiety, you're more likely to resort to other unhealthy habits that can increase your blood pressure. Smoking,Drinking,
Overeating. If you have trouble controlling your anxiety or if anxiety interferes with daily activities, talk to your doctor or a mental health provider to find an appropriate treatment.

sunndyd
05-29-2009, 08:37 AM
hi, im on something for my anxiety called propranol, this reduces blood pressure but it also work on reducin the amount of adrenaline wizzing around my system as well and will reduce symptoms of palputations and tremmours :)

NancyD
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Army Wife..

Just wanted you to know that I take a blood pressure medication and it surprising has really helped me with my anxiety. It is propranolol and I found out afterwards that it is sometimes helpful with anxiety and PTSD.