PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary switch from Xanax

TinfoilxTouch
05-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone. First time posting here.

I’ve had pretty severe GAD for at least the past six years or so (since age 16 or 17). I didn’t realize how bad it was until I finally pursued treatment and started taking Xanax about 18 months ago. It started with .5mg twice a day as needed. For the past year or so, it’s been .5mg up to 4 times per day, as needed (2mg daily).

I’m also on Buspar 30mg 2x daily, and Welbutrin SR 150mg 2x daily. Also, AmbienCR 12.5mg at bedtime.

The Xanax still works great for the 2-4 hours it is supposed to work, but there is obviously no residual relief that builds between doses. I finally got tired of this and asked my Psych to let me try Valium. Starting today, I am taking 10mg of Valium 2x daily (around 8am and 5pm I figure) and then the AmbienCR at night.

My question is twofold- first, the Valium is supposed to be an equivalent dose- should I have any major discomfort during the change? Second, since Valium is plasma-bound and the drug eliminates itself slower than it is taken, in theory after time there should be much more drug in circulation than the quantity of a single dose. Should this provide “more” relief than the Xanax has?

Thanks for the help!