PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice - do others feel the same way?

Zingledot
05-14-2009, 04:59 PM
As cliche as is it, after a quick trip around the internet I've 'self-diagnosed' myself with generalized anxiety or maybe what I've seen referred to as "test anxiety."

My query I suppose is what other people have done to cope, and what has worked for them. I've always been of the opinion that the only real cures for internal dilemmas come from within - from finding your own answer. I still believe that, but I'm frustrated enough to where I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for a way to cope as a quick fix. Be it therapy, self-help, medication... whatever.

Over the years I'll say I've 'grown out' of my crippling social anxieties. I can speak publicly, I can go places and meet people without being particularly shy.

What I'm left with is essentially performance anxiety I think. Whenever I do anything where I'm worried about how well I'm doing or that I should be better I tense up and I feel like my brain is inside a thick cloud. Everything gets fuzzy, I'm clumsy, I forget things and I'll eventually just get a headache. Of course this makes me do worse, which builds on the anxiety and frustration.

What makes this especially frustrating is that when I accidentally drop my guard, and my anxiety, I'm capable of so much more. It's like a euphoric freedom where I can think clearly and my ability to do everything from my job (cooking) to playing video games, to interacting with people improves by 300%....then I realize what's going on and I crash. It's like spending my entire life trying to find that glimpse of clarity that most people spend all day in.

So I come on here because SOMEONE has to be suffering from the same, right? Does ANYTHING help?

Ubasoto
05-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey hey

I understand what you are saying. Its like you have a film over your eyes and cant see as well as others. But at times that film is gone and its such a great feeling.

I cant give you any answers as to why you crash when you figure out whats going on.

I can say that I have the same thing happen. Of course, not to every aspect of your situation but I can relate.

I have Social Anxiety Disorder with some kind of depression. So at times when I am feeling particularly upbeat, which doesnt happen often, it feels like Im on top of the world. Self-confidence goes way up, ability for me to talk to others goes way up, and just the ability of having fun goes way up. But then something happens and I just lose that thinking process.

I have no idea why that happens. My belief is that after awhile of thinking a certain way you think you have to be like that all the time. So the rare times that you are in a great mood your brain is like WTF IS GOING ON!!!
and takes you back to what you are used to thinking.

Doesnt mean it cant be changed.

I have tried this method and it has helped a few times.

When you are in a great upbeat mood, grab a notebook. Write down things like "hey you know what?! I really can be in a great mood!"

Write whatever you want that has positive reinforcement about your great mood. And when you start to get depressed again, reread the stuff that you wrote. Sometimes that will get me out of a bad depressed state. More than a "normal" day for me.

Medication is also a form of coping almost immediately. Usually medicine takes a week or two before it gets into your system.

And it does help. You need to see a doctor to see exactly what it is that you are going through so that they can get you on the right medicine if need be.

Sometimes when I get really bad off I have to sit there and tell myself "Hey Justin. WTF are you thinking?! You know you are doing (insert whatever you are doing/thinking) well. You know that you can do it. Why do you keep telling yourself no? "

Something like that. Situations are different so you might have to reword that scenario lol.

You can try self-help articles. Watch an inspiring movie. Go for a walk and just make a game up of counting weird things to help take your mind off of things.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Captain Deep Breath
05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
It's like spending my entire life trying to find that glimpse of clarity that most people spend all day in.

Wow welcome to my life. It seems i'm only clear minded for the first few moments of my day. And then i crash. I think because i keep reminding myself "Hey aren't you supposed to have anxiety?" and then it's downhill from there. When you aren't feeling right and your stressing for little things, your brain will punish you. That fog you speak of is with me for most of my day. Can't concentrate, can't be efficient, but like you, give me some clarity and i'll own!

What I'm doing to try to help is to shed some weight and get in shape. I've also been eating better and reading. They say a healthy body is a healthy mind. And quit smoking if you smoke, I'm 2 months clean, couldn't hurt!

I'm considering medication too. Just to hide the symptoms so i can forget about them. Once i forget about them, I'll stop feeling them. If i can wake up every day and not think about anxiety, i would have a perfect day, but that doesn't happen, stupid brain!

chrisz
05-15-2009, 08:07 PM
There is one anti-anxiety medication that I take, and many others too,
that works great for performance anxiety, but helps for general anxiety
also for many people. That medication is Inderal, a small dose of
10-20mg blunts the effect that adrenaline has on your body.

It is most effect for heart pounding on anticipatory anxiety.
It works in 15min to 1/2 hour. Is very safe for most.

Look up Inderal (Propranolol) .

Zingledot
05-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the shared experiences... just knowing that other people are going through it has helped me in the past few days.

Just signed up for my benefits at work, so I'm going to look into seeing someone and perhaps trying what chrisz mentioned if things don't calm down a little.

Mainly in my life right now I'm reaching for a promotion at work, and trying to learn piano... both seem nearly impossible if I can't shake this, at least to some degree.