PDA

View Full Version : meditation ie power of mind vrs physical reactions

cassie
06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
dissociation is the big word for day dreaming or putting your concious state into a trance ... i was taught my natural inclination to dissociate could be retrained into meditation , i can actually decrease physical pain by meditation and what i call self talk , breathing excercises accompanied by self afferming messages like ''' there is nothing to fear i am safe i need to recenter myself ect has been really great at relief going out or doing what scares me ... i pre prepair myself like ok i have to go shopping , i then tell myself why i don't need to be afraid .. it doesnt always work but yoga ect are forms of meditation tie chi is too so maby the orential mind to practice mental relaxations breating excercises and simple physical excercises may be a good thing to look into

shoe
06-30-2005, 07:56 AM
All those things you wrote about are definitely good suggestions. I'm kinda impatient and lazy myself so I don't ever get around to meditation or practicing breathing exercises etc - but I know I should. The self-affirming message thing sounded kinda corny to me a while back, but in practice it does seem to help having like a '2nd voice' telling your anxious self there is nothing wrong and that you are safe. Its like having a personal coach with you, rooting you on hehe. good recommendations :)

haroldnmaude422
07-05-2005, 01:49 AM
i find taking walks helps..a fast paced non~verbal kind..on a tread mill..or tae~bo..pushing myself physically..helps me rise above everything else..i also have a dissociative disorder..a lot of the tricks i used as a child to stay in the moment..now unfortunately have turned around to bit me in the butt..., but i think the exercise and meditation one is a great one..if only i could get the depression from unmotivating me..(plus my house cat tendencys to love lounging..)

desperateDave
07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
i need exercise but dont know what to do, i feel clueless when it comes to that and all i do is pushups and situps and walking. i need a person to give me a place to start off and put me on the right path

j2005
08-29-2011, 10:06 PM
This is an area that has helped me. Meditation and exercise have been invaluable in decreasing my anxiety.
I meditate every day: both the Linden method, and normal breathing and imaging
I run each day--start out by walking 30 minutes then after 1 week run 10 minutes.
Each week I had 10 minutes to my run time until you get to a comfortable time...mine is 1 hour or 5 miles. Decrease your walk time each week as you increase your run time
Lift weights 3 times a week to tone and build muscle. Resist the pressure to bodybuild and just lift low weight with lots of reps until you get tired
I walk every evening after dinner for 30 minutes.
Keep doing push ups and sit ups

Hangin there
James