PDA

View Full Version : Social anxiety problems.

davie08
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Im 18 and Ive suffered from social anxiety for the last 2 years it started with before playing a hockey game Id get nauseous and Id even vomit and then id start getting nauseous before going to a parties so then I started isolating myself and before the anxiety started happening I was good friends with about 30 different people. I feel perfectly fine being around a lot of people but its just how I feel before I get into those situations.

danstelter
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
So, a little anticipatory anxiety? Work on your thinking about those situations and keep telling yourself that they will work out okay. They have worked out okay because you have said that you can be around lots of people without any difficulties! The reality is that you are doing just fine, but you are creating some sort of mental block on yourself anticipating that things will not go well. Just know that they will go well, and realize that your experience has shown that they do in fact go well.

Steve_P
05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Im 18 and Ive suffered from social anxiety for the last 2 years it started with before playing a hockey game Id get nauseous and Id even vomit and then id start getting nauseous before going to a parties so then I started isolating myself and before the anxiety started happening I was good friends with about 30 different people. I feel perfectly fine being around a lot of people but its just how I feel before I get into those situations.

Yeah most of us that suffer from extreme anxiety problems love to picture the 'worst case scenario'. However, as I'm sure you've discovered, this terrible outcome we've imagined almost never happens. So once we're in the moment we've feared, we find that it's far easier and very manageable.

Just a tip, try to also picture the best case scenario before any such event, whether it's a sporting event or simply hanging out with friends. You'll likely find that your experience always falls somewhere in the middle... things don't go perfectly, but they certainly aren't a disaster like you feared they may be.

Once you really get this, your fear of upcoming events and the anticipatory anxiety of them will greatly diminish, as you learn there is nothing to fear in reality.

05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey Davie08,
Im going through the same thing right now, for me it started before graduation rehersals in 2003 and I got to the point that I would get nauseous and vomit before hanging out with friends or people I knew in general. I finally decided to get help in the last few months because I began to have chest pains, trouble breathing and panic attacks. Like Steve said I loved to picture the worst case scenerio before anything ever happend...I would playing the situation over and over until i got all worked up about it that i couldnt take it anymore, and either make up an excuse and not go or feel so nauseous that i would puke....

My GP has me on Celexa and Xanax for the panic attacks.. I have also started seeing a therapist. I have been having better days more often and im doing better around people also. Most people say just dont worry about it, but unless there going through it they dont know what its like... One of the things I like to do when i have a situation like that is think about the situation then picture something really boring or uneventful like watching the grass grow...

Its something the therapist and I have been doing... He has me recall a stressful situation then when I have that in my mind I start to think about a moth flying around or something boring... we do that a few times and it tends to relax me.. By no means has this completely solved the situation but it had helped alot. I think its going to be a long process of recovery but one day WE will beat this... Good Luck
Adrian

fernandogress
06-23-2009, 11:40 PM
People with social anxiety problems are often fearful of being in a crowd because they don't think they look good or they feel they don't have any social skills. Usually these problems exist only in the mind but for the social anxiety problem sufferer the problem is very real.
Attending group therapy with others who have similar social anxiety problems can provide a lot of support and often it will eliminate the problem entirely. When you are in a group of people who have similar feelings you will start to realize that the problem is not as bad as it seems.
By attending a group you will get to express your fears and others will be able to help you overcome those fears. Communicating with others is a big step towards overcoming your social anxiety problems.
Social anxiety problems can rob you of your friends and your social life. If you suffer from social anxiety problems it is very important that you take the steps necessary to overcome your fears. Only then will you be able to fully enjoy all that life has to offer.

dtrotter
06-26-2009, 12:26 AM
I used to have that in me. My doctor told me that's a sign of fear of failure. Your brain played such illusion that the world will end if you lose the hockey game. In reality, nothing will harm/destroy you even if you hit rock bottom in the game.

that's all i can say. i hope it is helpful for u