PDA

View Full Version : addiction

Iridisis
04-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Newbie here, just posted an intro. I can't possibly afford talk therapy, but put a Dr. visit on my credit card (on the verge of bankruptcy!) My previous doctor moved and was understanding and didn't make me visit often. She had me on Zoloft, Seroquel for sleep and Klonopin 4 x per day. I ran out of the Klonopin when I couldn't find her and it was HORRIBLE. The new Dr. did write one more prescription, but without refills and I got a lecture about addiction. Yea, it looks like I'm addicted. So what? Diabetics are "addicted" to insulin. I've always had anxiety, but now I'm about to lose everything due to the economy. It seems like addiction is the LEAST of my worries, as long as I can scrape up the money for the meds...??????

chrisz
04-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I have had Panic Disorder for 30 years. In the first 10 years I took .5mg
3 x day. I still had panic attacks, but not as frequent. My Pdoc left town and my new Pdoc was unhappy that I was still having ANY panic attacks.
So he upped my Xanax dosage to 1mg 3 X day. He also added Inderal for heart pounding. I have been on this combination with the recent addition of Vistaril for sleep/anxiety ever since. My panic disorder is inherited and I have tried all the SSRI's and SNRI's and anti-seizure meds. Only Xanax works and my Pdoc says I should take it the rest of my life. I still have break-though panic and anxiety sometimes. He gives me 4mg/day so I will have extra if I need them.

I think you could be one of those people who Klonopin is needed.
You are probably physically addicted, but unless you abused them, you are not psychologically addicted. Just like pain medication for people who have chronic pain, you may need a Benzo for chronic anxiety and it's horrible symptoms. This is understood by most Psychiatrist's and they have no problem with. A family doctor may see it different.

Chris

Iridisis
04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Our family doc is super-paranoid about prescribing anything. They refer everyone to a psychiatrist, no matter how bad they're doing and the psycs are booked up and you have to wait it out. If this new guy is going to give me a hard time about something I need (and yes I think I need it), then I guess I'll have to go back to the first one who moved more than an hour's drive away.

BTW, anxiety is the mildest thing that runs in my family!