PDA

View Full Version : Canyou self induce some side affects to medication?

DDiaz
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I post this poll because of a recent experience watching my uncle die of leukemia.

My uncle had been diagnosed with leukemia. He was actually doing well, health wise. He had plenty of energy and was happy. Then his doctor retired and he got a new doctor. I took him for his first appt with the new doctor. He look at my uncles legs and said " HUH? No bruises? Well, you can expect that to happen any time now. What? you're still eating well? Leukemia patients always lose their appetites. You won't be eating much longer. You're sleeping at night? That's odd. Well, insomnia occurs in 98% of leukemia patients so I'm going to prescribe you something to help you sleep, just in case."

I am not kidding, within a week my uncle had all of the symptoms, just like the doctors told him to, and he died within 3 months.

I wish I could sue the stupid doctor. He told my uncle exactly how to have leukemia, and my uncle did as instructed.

So my question is this.

Do you think that if you didn't know about what the side affects were, you'd still get them?

Are side affects to some degree self caused?

Matt_H
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Sounds like the opposite of the placebo effect. I personally believe it could have been the doctor changing his mindset, however medically there probably wouldn't be any concrete medical proof of that.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss

DDiaz
04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I wish there was medical proof.

But, do you think that it makes a difference if the doctors tells a person what to expect when they are being treated for depression or anxiety?

Matt_H
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I wish there was medical proof.

But, do you think that it makes a difference if the doctors tells a person what to expect when they are being treated for depression or anxiety?

It could. It's still an example of the placebo effect. The doctors are obligated to tell the patient side-effects and what to expect. Informed Consent.

Everything in medicine is subjective to the physician. But there can't be any fingers pointed.

Set your mind at ease. I know its tough, but your uncle had a serious illness that could have compromised his health at any time. It's not a good idea to question the doctor's treatment, or dwell on it -- whether you disagree with him or not.

May he rest in peace. And again, my condolences go out to you and your family. Don't think of the way he passed, think of the life he lived.

fernandogress
06-04-2009, 04:05 AM
I think..I personally believe it could have been the doctor changing his mindset, however medically there probably wouldn't be any concrete medical proof of that. I wish there was medical proof. Everything in medicine is subjective to the physician.