PDA

View Full Version : Did stopping smoking make any difference?

elgrande
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi all

Just curious about smoking and anxiety. I've been thinking of giving up for a while and plan to take steps very soon. Has anyone with anxiety found that their condition changed when they quit? Did it get any worse or better or was there no change?

cheers

Grandstrand
03-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Yes, quitting smoking will affect your anxiety. You are going through a drug withdrawal when you quit smoking and it does make anxiety worse. It is well worth it though. I used the nicotine patch and had great success with it. You just need to set your mind that you want to quit and you can. I would recommend using hypnosis or meditation audios to help you through this trying time. Visit my web site for some recommendations on different audios.

rejanette
03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I' m to in the process of stopping the cigarettes... I used to smoke a lot and right now I' m at 3 a days ... i do not smoked during the days it's at night after work that i found the needs to smoke ... I went step by step and really want the cigarettes out of my life since I reduced the smoking I can see things getting a little better.
Also reducing your caffeine intake my help to.
Good luck

Rejane

Jen3535
03-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I stopped smoking for 2 weeks, After 3 days i noticed i didnt take so many gasping deep breaths as i normally would. My main reason for quitting was because i spent the day deep breathing and stressing about it. However although i felt great i started smoking again, and the deep breathing thing has come back. I do plan to quit again as i loved the feeling not smoking gave me. I think i may even start my patches again tomorrow. in fact i have just smoked my last ciggy, and am no way going out now to buy some.

i will also cut down my intake of tea, I drink 10-20 cups of tea a day. Good luck with quitting. It will make a differance

Jen

katiebell
03-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I am not sure which of the following has effected me the most, however I have suffered from severe anxiety/ panic attacks/ social anxiety/ and mild agoraphobia for seven years. I have to say I feel the best I have felt in all of my adult years, by quitting smoking, quitting drinking, and taking 10 mg of Celexa daily, and klonipin occasionally. It has been 4 weeks since I started the Celexa & quit smoking & drinking. I have tried sooo many medications over the years, I truly believe quitting cigarettes (a stimulant and something that makes you feel like you cannot breath), and alcohol (a sugary depressant which only makes you ridiculously nerve wrecked the day after) is the main reason I am feeling like a new person.

It does make you anxious the first week or so... but definately worth the anxiety (you've lived with anxiety this long, right?)

Anyhow, the best remedy for anxiety is taking care of your health... stop smoking!
Good Luck... try nicotine gum (it works for me!)

oceanney
03-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi!

Brand new to this forum.

Short answer: yes quitting smoking (and nicotine) does help a lot. It seems to balance the chemicals in the brains that makes us feel crappy in the first place. Do it!! Good luck!

freakinHippy
04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Just one more person to back this up. If you quit, you will feel better.

I quit for 3 years and felt great. But I went through some rough times and picked up the habit again. :(

I am in the process of quitting again but it's tough. I can usually last a day or two without it. It seems my ciggy's and coffee are the only thing that keeps me going, even though they are probably a major contributor to my anxiety. :evil:

Oh well, good luck. You can do it if you want to bad enough. :mrgreen: