PDA

View Full Version : Help for my Girlfriend

iamasmoker
03-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Maybe I could get some advice from you. Because she is ruining our relationship
My Girlfriend and I have been together 5 years, about 3 years ago and happening to date, she started getting these weird breathing problems, saying she could not take a deep breath, and it felt like she was going to die, We had the paramedic arrive, they said its Panic see your GP. Which she did, over the last few years she has been test for asthma, they say its not that, and been given all kinds of drugs that don’t help.

Now it’s got to the stage where she won’t go out unless it’s close to home, we cant go on holiday together, she wont excise because she thinks she might have an asthma attack. Or stop breathing. What can I do to make her better?

Oh she smokes, and has a bad eating habit she skips meals

nico_uk
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Has your girlfriend tried CBT therapy?

Fudge
03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Well first of all you have to understand that "you" can't make her better -only she can do that. Second, she needs you to be supportive, but not confrontational. Thirdly, she may be causing stress on the relationship, but its also up to you if you decide to end. Think about what you want out of the relationship in the near future and if you are able or willing to deal with her illness.

If she's having a lot of problems I suggest a few options. Maybe check to see if there is a mood disorder centre near you. If there is one, maybe go and have a talk with them. Chances are they will have a lot of good information for you and documentation on anxiety and panic attacks which you can take home with you. Then sit down with your girlfriend and encourage her into meeting with them. Guide her there, but don't force her. Like I said, it is up to her.

If all goes well, the next best thing is to be there for her when she needs it. It will take a lot of patience, but it can be done.