PDA

View Full Version : Resolved agoraphobia

Shanti
03-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi people,
I am interested in the ones, on this occasion, who got rid of agoraphobia. Please would tou provide information on

1. which psychotherapeutic technique helped you

2. if you used medicaments, the precise info on this would be helpful

ps. soon on my web site there willl be available relevant info on agoraphobia, its nucleus, suggested (provelny efficient) method of treatment ---- takes time, but works!

THANK YOU PPL.

ur
Doc

TiaLimaria
06-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Hmm, I am not really surprised that there have been no replies here. Agoraphobia is so complex, not very understood, and still a very "closet" issue.

I can say I have tried many different drugs over the years including Nardil (which was absolutely horrible for me), SSRIs, sedatives etc, never really feeling any form of release. The only one time that I found any relief, and longstanding "cure" was when I took Librax. It stopped the vicious cycle of anxiety/IBS that was keeping me trapped. I've done CBT with two different therapists, helping me identify my "triggers" but without being on the Librax it would only get me so far, and I have once again become homebound. I still work on getting out every day, work on meditating through the anxiety, flashbacks, and panic attacks so hopefully I can get myself to a doctor that can actually listen to me, and help me.

Knawx
07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
What helped me the most was realizing that every person walking around has something wrong with them. Some are depressed, some are scared, some have physical ailments, others have mental health problems.

I like to go to NBA games which can be very difficult sometimes depending on the day, but when I start feeling panic come on, I just look around at the people near me and realize that I am not alone.

They may not be feeling the same way as me, but they certainly have their life issues. I don't know why this helps me, maybe because knowing that we are not alone is empowering.

Charlene
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Some years ago I had agoraphobia and it stayed with me for a full year. I couldn't leave my house at all. Walking down the driveway was painful, but not in the sense of pain like "ouch", but more like....hmm, it's difficult to put into words. There was this unremitting pressure that pressed heavily down on me at all times. Walking from my kitchen to the bedroom was at times, like walking through one of those tipsy, crooked fun houses out of a theme park. I was always off balance. OH!!! And talking on the phone! Forget about it! I could hardly get the words out. OH! And watching certain shows on TV, where sometimes the TSX reading runs at the bottom of the screen....forget about it!! It would put me into a spell of the dizzies so bad that I'd have to look away. Even sitting at my computer to type emails....the screen seemed to move around on me. One thing that helped me get through it all was that I knew exactly what was wrong. I had already lived with panic disorder for years prior so having agoraphobia wasn't too much of a surprise. One day though, I just thought "enough". I wasn't overly bold about it or angry about it. I think I was just tired of it. So, I pushed myself to walk down a few feet past my house. I was victorious! I did it! And so, the next day, I pushed myself again, and walked down a few more feet. And a few more feet. And a little more. And a little more. And then, I attempted to drive again. I drove to the grocery store. The pressure and other symptoms were still there, weighing heavily over me, but I continued on. And I did it! Victory! :D I kept it up and now, 5 years later, I'm still agoraphobic free. I did not use medications to get over it and I did not seek therapy to get over it. (I had agoraphobia, in my mind at the time there was no way that I could make an appointment). For me, the key was in allowing myself to feel the frightening sensations but to push through them anyway while simultaneously being compassionate and gentle with myself and knowing that I wasn't going to die and that I was going to get through it. :)

lira
03-12-2011, 02:47 AM
wow Charlene, thanks for posting this is very inspiring..I am also learning to fight it.