PDA

View Full Version : Seroxat warning

fillyjonk
03-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Hi there,

This is just to put down some of the problems I expereinced whilst taking Seroxat (UK drug and maybe called something else now) for anxiety/panic, although it is an antidepressant.

I'm no longer on this drug but was on it for approx 3years plus. Basically, it messed up my periods - they just didn't stop, I had to leave my job, I became very anaemic but it wasn't clear in the beginning that Seroxat was to blame - I had to flag up my concerns to my GP in the end. It was a horrible experince and when I looked up this on the internet, found absolutely nothing on this problem - perhaps it was unusual but just want to make women aware to keep an eye on their periods whilst taking medication.

Also in the beginning, my panic attacks intensified so much on that drug that I totally freaked out even more and became utterly terrified out of my wits! Not very helpful to get better. In fact I believe it was the worst road to go down for me personally. I try to manage my anxiety without drugs now as this put me off taking anything - side effects can just make you worse and more confused. Getting dependant on drugs is also setting yourself up other hurdles to come off them and never learning other ways to cope. I still have terrible days with anxiety so I'm not making out that it's easy.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who tackles anxiety and panic alternatively. I'm learning how to meditate and I have CBT (although slow progress as I've felt this way for so long, it's become ingrained!) I'm also learning how to breath properly - thanks to Northstar's postings.

fillyjonk
03-04-2009, 03:44 AM
PS,

I think this drug is also known as Paroxatine.

Shanti
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi there,

This is just to put down some of the problems I expereinced whilst taking Seroxat (UK drug and maybe called something else now) for anxiety/panic, although it is an antidepressant.

I'm no longer on this drug but was on it for approx 3years plus. Basically, it messed up my periods - they just didn't stop, I had to leave my job, I became very anaemic but it wasn't clear in the beginning that Seroxat was to blame - I had to flag up my concerns to my GP in the end. It was a horrible experince and when I looked up this on the internet, found absolutely nothing on this problem - perhaps it was unusual but just want to make women aware to keep an eye on their periods whilst taking medication.

Also in the beginning, my panic attacks intensified so much on that drug that I totally freaked out even more and became utterly terrified out of my wits! Not very helpful to get better. In fact I believe it was the worst road to go down for me personally. I try to manage my anxiety without drugs now as this put me off taking anything - side effects can just make you worse and more confused. Getting dependant on drugs is also setting yourself up other hurdles to come off them and never learning other ways to cope. I still have terrible days with anxiety so I'm not making out that it's easy.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who tackles anxiety and panic alternatively. I'm learning how to meditate and I have CBT (although slow progress as I've felt this way for so long, it's become ingrained!) I'm also learning how to breath properly - thanks to Northstar's postings.

3 yrs is too long to be taking one medication
in the case of my clients who are not susceptible to psychotherapy and need to be on SSRI (seroxat is in that group) i switch the medication after 2 yrs to rest the body....

take care

Robbed
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Here in the US, Seroxat is known as Paxil. And it has earned a reputation of being among the 'worst of the worst' when it comes to SSRIs, both in terms of side effects and dependency. There has also been a lawsuit with regards to dependency (since the manufacturer claims it to be 'non-habit forming'). Now I am not in favor of antidepressants, period. But I highly recommend you stay away from this one.