PDA

View Full Version : Hyperventilation - Useful Information

Topcat
02-28-2009, 08:57 AM
I thought it would be beneficial to people to read about the effects of over breathing I will try an make it as short as possible;

A few years ago I had physiotherapy to help me learn how to control my breathing, the normal rate is 10 - 14 breaths per minute the less breaths the better. When I went to my first session I thought I was quite relaxed just a little apprehensive however when they checked my rate of breathing it was 24 breaths per minute this is classed as hyperventilating even though I wasn't gasping for air as one would normally associate with hyperventilating.

Now most people that suffer from anxiety are constantly hyperventilating without realising it so when faced with a situation that causes stress levels to rise or even talking (requiring more air) we become breathless which in turn will cause us to become more anxious simply because our breathing has speeded up way over an acceptable level.

A person that breathes normally and is then faced with a stressful situation may also have increased breathing but because their breathing rate was already low the body can cope and it does not cause anxiety or panic.

The following information is from a great book called hyperventialtion syndrome by Dinah Bradley. These are triggers that can cause an anxious person to develop physical symptoms;

Driving
Household Chores
Telephoning
High Humidity
Kissing/Making Love
Watching TV/cinema
Talking
Meeting/interviews
Queues/Crowds
Exercise
Plus Others

and these are some of the symptoms that over breathing can cause (you dont have to have all of them;

Chest Pain
Physical tension
Tiredness
Visual Disturbance
Dizziness
Upset Gut
Poor concentration
Faster or deeper breathing
Tight chest
Feeling revved up
Tingling Fingers
Sighing/yawning
Tight jaw/throat
Headache
Clammy/cold hands and feet
Erratic/faster heart beats
Plus Others

The aim is to learn how to breathe whilst in a restful state and also while exerting yourself by controlling your breathing, now obviously it is hard work and it takes time to learn and whilst I admit it did work for me at the time obviously I wouldnt have joined this forum if it had made me completely better, but what it did do is make me realise that I all of the symptoms I feel is purely due to the way I am breathing and I have to concentrate on controlling it again.

To see how you breathe in a relaxed state you need someone with you as they need to watch you carefully an count how many breaths you are taking, hold one hand on your stomach and one on your chest which is moving ? A natural breathing pattern means that your stomach expands first, if your upper chest is doing the moving then you are breathing incorrectly.

To get back into the habit of abdominal breathing you need to lay down and it helps to put your hand behind your head if you are having trouble relaxing your upper chest muscles, let the air fall out of your chest without pushing, breathe in gently through your nose and let go straight away concentrating on breathing out lightly. Shoulder and upper chest relaxation is vital.

Start with very light small abdominal breaths, make sure you let go straight away at the top of the on-breath and dont hold and that you relax at the end of the out breath. If you feel like taking huge draughts of air in resist the temptation. Remember if you breathe in big your going to breathe out big too depleting carbon dioxide levels. The relaxed pause at the end of exhalation means breathing out takes longer than breathing in. It helps some people to get the rate right by mentally saying

Bombay (breathe in through your nose)
Sapphire (breathe out through your nose)
Gin (relax)

If you feel dizzy it means your still big breathing rather than deep-breathing. Cup both hands over your mouth and nose and rebreathe carbon dioxide-rich air for five to six breaths, then rest. repeat this until the dizziness has gone.

Once you have mastered this in a relaxed state you can move on to trying the same thing while exerting yourself.

I would really recommend the book as obviously it is far more indepth than I can possibly go into.

If your still reading this long post - I hope it works for you :)
[/b]