PDA

View Full Version : Prozac causing anxiety?

flapbreaker
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I was started on prozac a few months ago due to some depression, mainly related to a family memebers poor health. For the first month and a half I felt pretty good emotionally. Then out of the blue I've started having anxiety. Sometimes it's just a low level all day and other times it turns into an all out attack. I was on the 20mg prozac so my doctor increased it to the 40. I was actually concerned that the prozac was causing the anxiety but my dr. insisted that that couldn't be it since they prescribe prozac for anxiety. Well I've been at the 40mg dose for about two weeks now with out any improvement in anxiety. I'm told by my dr. that it takes time. I'm a little frustrated because if the prozac was going to work for my anxiety I think common sense say's that it would of by now. I've never had anxiety before. At least nothing that wouldn't be considered normal anxiety. Any thoughts?

Robbed
03-02-2009, 05:50 AM
It just never ceases to amaze me that doctors (who are supposedly SO educated and intelligent) can get something like this SO wrong. Yes, Prozac is used to treat depression and anxiety. BUT, both depression and anxiety ARE among the common side effects for Prozac and other antidepressants. And if you never had a problem with anxiety before going on Prozac, things don't look good as far as how this drug will work out for you.

flapbreaker
03-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was weird too that she popoo'd the anxiety issue. I stopped taking the prozac and am on day 4. My symptoms are slowly going away and I'm starting to feel better. I've got an appointment with my Doc tomorrow. Going to let her know that I couldn't handle all the side effects.

Shanti
03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
it is a paradox that after 6 months of feeling good on prozac u started feeling anxious
it most probably is nto a side effect of prozac

what i would do is combine prozac with a classical anxiolytic
(prozac 20mg and, maybe, bromazepam a 3mg 3x1 or something like that)

good luck!

fernandogress
06-09-2009, 12:08 AM
I think,,The symptom that you are experiencing is probably what is called a transient Prozac side effect; this means that the side effect is not permanent and could disappear as your body adjusts to taking the drug. But, most of what you experience is due to the reaction Prozac is having on your anxiety levels. Some symptoms feel harmful, but are not and but just by understanding what these are is enough to reassure the sufferer.