PDA

View Full Version : Valium vs Ativan

Hkml
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Can anyone tell me the reasons why a doctor would choose to prescribe Valium over Ativan or vice versa? Does it have anything to do with their half lives? If it does than why would a doctor choose to prescribe a long-acting benzo over a short-acting one?

fernandogress
09-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Valium is often used to control muscle spasms more often than many of the other meds in the same class. Depending on your dose and how long you have taken it, you may already be physically dependent.
Ativan is a shorter acting medication and a bit more difficult to taper off of if you become physically dependent. I'm not sure how Ativan stacks up against Valium for muscle spasms. I think that they all have very similar effects.
Valium for me is much better for vertigo. It lasts much longer. I have to take it when I travel and if I use ativan I have to take it every 4-6 hours, valium only 1 or 2 times a day depending on the length of the trip.

TinfoilxTouch
09-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Valium is pretty much only prescribed now for people who need to have constant relief of their symptoms (when talking about RX for anxiety relief)... it's one of the weaker benzos per mg but has the longest half-life and builds a certain consistant amount in your system over time, almost like an SSRI or other anti-depressant. Because of that, you won't find many doctors who will prescribe it, as it's only advantage is for those who plan on being medicated for long periods of time.

Ativan is pretty much the same as Xanax in my book- they are both used for panic attacks, people with anxiety that comes and goes, and people who take it "as neeeded". If you had a panic attack once a week and took a full 10mg of Valium for it, you might not even feel anything for an hour.

jka1979
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
In my personal opinion there is little difference between the two.

I have been on
tranxene, xanax, valium, ativan, klonopin

and i think
Xanax and Ativan are short acting. and more to control panic attacks
and Tranxene, Valium and Klonopin are more long lasting to control General Anxiety disorders

RammerJammer21
10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
In my personal opinion there is little difference between the two.

I have been on
tranxene, xanax, valium, ativan, klonopin

and i think
Xanax and Ativan are short acting. and more to control panic attacks
and Tranxene, Valium and Klonopin are more long lasting to control General Anxiety disordersTo add to this:

Over the last couple of months, I have used Clorazepate (generic of Tranxene) with a ton of success. It is definitely longer lasting and, at least for me, only required a minimal dosage once a day (3.75 to 7.5 mg).

Also, I have developed ZERO dependence with the clorazepate. There have been periods of multiple days where I have not taken it and experienced no withdrawal symptoms at all.

flowers2
10-22-2009, 04:59 PM
I would prefer Ativan to Xanax as Ativan has a different time release mechanism, which makes it less addictive.