PDA

View Full Version : i dont know whats goin on

caseman
01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
hey im new here and i have had anxiety for about 4 years it all started freshman year i didnt have it all junior year and now this year its come back to haunt me once again but it seems different this time, this is the first year i have had panic attacks and i honestly think im going to die at first when i would have panic attacks my heart would skip beats and rapid increase and decrease in beats that went away and now i sometimes have immense pressure in my head and i just wanted to know if this is a common symptom or should i be worried :(

soshy
01-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi caseman - What you've described....rapid heart beats, skipped heart beats and immense pressure in your head... all is normal, sorry to say, when you are having panic attacks or general anxiety. So sorry to hear you are suffering from this :( .

I do not know anything worse than having a panic attack - it does feel like you're dying, but you're not and you won't.

Have you talked to anyone about what's going on? Have you seen a doctor or therapist?

I know it doesn't seem possible right now, but you will overcome this. I did. I started having anxiety when I was a child, then around sixteen I was having panic attacks everyday-all day and night. I didn't get the proper help that I needed and that's why I got so bad. This will not happen to you cause this was a long time ago. I'm over thirty now and doing very well - thank god, cause those days were pure hell!!!

You will find plenty of information on this site to help you. The people here are wonderful and very helpful. This is a safe and supportive place to come to for help, and can guide you in the right direction so that you can live your life free from anxiety. Everyone here has had or is having anxiety. You are not alone. I know how terribly scary it is to feel the way that you are right now.

You will get better! If you cannot believe this now, we will for you. Soon, with the right tools, you will start to get better. I’m so glad you found this forum and the courage to post.

Take care :wave: ,

soshy

caseman
01-31-2006, 03:30 PM
thank you soshy for taking the time to reply to me and yes i have seen a doctor and am now currently seeing a therapist and taking a vitamin drink called reliv im not a huge fan of meds because i always think they gave me the wrong thing. im sure i can get through this hopefully soon. one more question i have is the unreality thing and everything seeming wierd or that im in a different state of mind or consciouncness will that eventually go away once i learn to not think about it or keep myself busy and it always seems to be worse in school? well any way thanks for the help,
Caseman

soshy
01-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi, glad you wrote back!

The weird feeling of being in a different state of mind you mentioned. Oh Boy, do I know that one! It's like everything seems different in some strange way.....almost like an out of body experience. I use to have that everytime I was anxious, scared the heck out of me. It's hard to calm yourself down when everthing seems out of sorts. That is very normal to experience when you are having anxiety.....lots of people have that. Don't worry, that will go away. When it does happen, tell yourself it's because of the anxiety, that's all it is. It's because of the natural chemicals in our body that are released during panic. Normal, but a scary pain in the butt!

I'm glad you are seeing a doctor and a therapist. I know what you mean about taking medication...there's so many out there. Have you heard about SSRIs and Klonopin? That's what I take. Many patients with anxiety disorders have had good results with the combo of an SSRI and Klonopin. Ask your doc. It's good to be informed about what's out there regarding medication.

I'm a firm believer in therapy :goodjob: . You really need someone who understands what you are going through and can speak openly to face to face, and to lean on....these are real hard times.

Take it easy,

soshy

__freespirit
02-01-2006, 08:50 AM
I actually came here to ask the same thing really.
About head pressure.
I'm glad to see someone else has it and I'm not the only one.
I'm not glad we have it.. just relieved.. you know?

I've had that unreality thing happen to me before.
I freaked out so bad.. I literally thought I was going crazy.

What helped me was my girlfriend and my mother mostly.
I haven't had it in a while and I pray I don't get it again.

You'll be okay though, I'm still breathing.
If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here for you.
I know I'm a random person but yeah, I found anxiety sufferers need one thing and that is a support group of friends that understand.

Hope your feeling better.

caseman
02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
hey freespirit
yah it definately makes me feel better that someone else has the head pressure also well not glad but relieved that its not only me, yah the unreality thing is extremely wierd i have it pretty much all the time. my mom has also helped alot and my friends thank god we have family and friends that understand. thanx for your support i hope ur anxiety is doing ok take care,
caseman

__freespirit
02-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Odd question to ask but..
When you have the head pressure could you tell me how it feels for you?
I'm just curious.

soshy
02-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi freespirit - I use to get so much pressure in my head when I had panic attacks or when very nervous. For me it feels as if my head is very tight or swelling and I can hear my heart beat in my head. It feels like if I were to stand on my head...which I don't. Along with the pressure, I would get a sharp pain/headache...piercing pain not always in the same place....sometimes in the forehead or on/in the side of my head, and sometimes a headache in my eye. My doctor said this was normal because of the constant state of anxiety I was in. He had me go through some tests (MRI & CT) just to make sure and everything was fine with the structure of my head and brain. It was all due to anxiety.

My therapist taught me how to deep breathe and how to catch myself from not breathing correctly when I was anxious. I have a tendency to take short quick breaths unconsciously when anxious which makes me dizzy and more anxious.

Anxiety is cruel. It's like were being punished or tortured for something horrible we never did - and all we are is just very, very scared. Soooo not fair :cry: .

Going to therapy (cognitive-behavioral) every week was what saved me...and if I was having a really hard time, I could call her. A good therapist is your teacher/mentor and security blanket for anxiety. I highly believe in it. You work hard and consistently and it pays off greatly. As I started to go, after a couple of months I had significant improvement - I started to learn how to control my panic and just knowing I had my therapist to lean on got me through bad times.

You cannot do this alone and you need to have the proper tools to overcome anxiety - and you will....I did...and I was a mess....couldn't leave the house....panicked all day long. It was a nightmare. Now, that's in the past. I still have my moments, but I have the upper hand on anxiety and it passes quickly and never gets out of control anymore....thank god...well, it's due to hard work in therapy too!

You will find your way, freespirit. I know right now it most be very hard for you and I feel bad. I know how horrible it is to be so scared and feel hopeless, but you're already on the right track by coming to this forum. You'll find great people here who are very kind and knowledgeable because they've been through this and are remarkably seasoned with advice and support.

You are going to be ok.
Sending you calming thoughts :console: ,

soshy

scatmantom
02-02-2006, 12:21 PM
soshy do u have techniques that work everytime?

I have got good techniques but i really need to work on them. In fact Im going to do it right now. I am desperate to get better, but at the same time im lazy and dont practice. When I feel fine (like now) i dont like to think about my anxiety and pretend its not there. This means when i do get it im not properly prepared and it takes longer to recover.

caseman
02-02-2006, 12:37 PM
hey freespirit well its kind of hard to explain alot of time i have a headache right above my eyes and sometimes i have pressure it seems around my temples and more in the front of my head in the eye area almost and around there and when that happens it seems almost harder to pay attention and some of my face gets kind of tingly, hope this helps - Caseman

caseman
02-02-2006, 12:53 PM
scatmantom i do the same thing all the time lol when im fine im like oh ill be fine when i have an attack i know im fine but then when it happens i end up freaking out from being under prepared lol - Caseman

scatmantom
02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
LOL glad im not the only lazy bum around here. Im a student tho so im expected to have no will power :)

But I just did my breathing and read a few chapters from my anxiety book. I feel better than b4 (i wasnt feeling bad B4) I jsut feel good now. I need to set a time where I work on things at least every other day!

GET MOTIVATED (rich coming from me i kno!!!!!!)