PDA

View Full Version : Why do psychiatrists refuse to treat anxiety disorders?

joshesmama
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I have had psychiatrists to tell me to stop being so anxious. That is stupid. People do not choose to have anxiety. That is like telling someone who has depression to snap out of it. Or, like telling a scizophrenic to stop hallucinating. It is not like a choice.

I even had doctors who refused to treat me because they thought I was seeking "drugs". People with anxiety need anti-anxiety medicine, not an antipsychotic or an antidepressant. The only medine that helps me is anti-anxiety medicine. Why do doctors rufuse to treat this disorder?

quallagirl
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Maybe you should find another psych. I have never had a problem with getting meds to treat my anxiety. This is unsual for him not to treat your condition. Have you been diagnosed with anxiety?

joshesmama
02-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah. I had a psychiatrsit for over a year and he refuesed to treat my anxiety. Then, I was at the state mental hospital and they kept trying to force antipsychotics down my throat. Then, they finally realized that the antipsychotics were not helping me and prescribed something else. But they refused to prescribe me any anti-anxiety medications because they imagined that I had a dependency problem, which I never have. I did not even have any anti-anxiety medicine to take for like the past 3 years, that is why I was committed.

Besides, why would someone take any anti-anxiety medicine if they did not need it. It is not much different from an antidepressant. Besides by failing to treat people, it causes people to try to "self-medicate".

Robbed
02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
It's not so much an issue of WHETHER a psychiatrist is willing to treat anxiety disorder as it is an issue of HOW they will treat it. Specifically, antidepressants are considered the treatment of choice for anxiety disorders by most health care professionals (including therapists, even though they can't prescribe). Benzodiazepines are generally frowned on for anything but special circumstances due to their perceived addictiveness (although this doesn't stop them from prescribing antidepressants, which can be EXTREMELY addictive for some). As for antipsychotics, some psychiatrists seem to be somewhat psychotic themselves, as they seem to be all too willing to hand out these powerful and dangerous drugs for pretty much any problem you can imagine. As for getting benzos, you can certainly try doctor shopping to get them if you want. But I just don't look at the use of ANY meds as a real solution to anxiety disorder.