PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro\Cipralex bringing out depression

Contant Worry
02-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi agian,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Lexapro for anxiety found that it brought out sadness\depression. I have been on it now for 3 or 4 weeks and the last couple day I have been quite sad and am having a hard time shaking it. I've never had depression before and I'm think it might be the meds bringing it out.

I'm not sure if my body is telling that this is not the drug for me and I should switch or ride it out a bit longer.

Please if anyone has suggestion or comments I would love to hear them!

Thanks

Robbed
02-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Depression is listed as a side effect for antidepressants. So it is VERY possible that your depressio is caused by the medication, especially if it never existed before. As far as whether you should dump the meds, I probably would. Now they say that it takes about 4-6 weeks to see whether it is working. But if the depression started THIS late, I look at it as a sign of a problem.

joshesmama
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I have been on Lexapro and did not notice it increasing my depression, but it might have. Everyone reacts to medicine differently. I am on Celexa, Neurontin, Campral, and Visteral now and seem to be feeling okay. You need to talk to your doctor if your medicine is not helping. Also, sometimes it takes a little while for it to take full effect.

tripin4u03
02-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Hi Im new to this site but i saw Lexapro and that is what I just got off. After 2 months on it I became more depressed and also still continued to have my anxiety, plus I could not eat anything except chocolat milk (i know sound weird but I hated the taste of anything) along with that I also couldnt sleep. I would be up for 2 or 3 days and then take a 4 hour nap. I also started taking clonazepam while on thi medication and that increased my energy. The doctor told me I was her first case where i would get hyper on it. She then took me off lexapro and put me on lunestra but it didnt do anything to me at all. Any body have any answers for that one?

ebony
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I took lexapro for probably a year.
But I got to the point where I had thoughts of slitting my throat every day.
So I quit that real quick.
Every med's different.
It seems you have to be a guinea pig before you find something that works.

fernandogress
07-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Lexapro is a drug that was released by the Forest Pharmaceuticals corporation aimed at fighting depression. The FDA approved Lexapro in August of 2002. Lexapro is a member of the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor family, which increases serotonin levels in the synapse by blocking serotonin reuptake into brain cells.Escitalopram increases the amount of neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain by blocking the resorption of serotonin from the synapse, having little effect of other receptors, which is why it is called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).