PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety vs Depression - what is the difference?

Anjel
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I had been taking Sertraline for 4 years as my doctor felt I was in a depression. I didn't feel that my low dosage was working so she uped my meds and I started feeling ill from them. She then changed my meds to Cipralex. I took them for a couple days and then found out I am pregnant (Nov) so I stopped taking them. Now I'm finding myself feeling very anxious and my symptoms are disrupting my life. I want to take my meds again but I'm really scared of what they will do to my baby.

I feel that I was misdiagnosed - I don't think I was/am depressed, I think I have an anxiety disorder - are the meds for these two illnesses the same? Are there tests that can be done to distinguish between the two illnesses?

Robbed
02-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Although depression and anxiety are considered illnesses by the medical establishment, neither meets the criteria of an illness. Part of the problem here is that mental conditions are typically described solely in terms of symptoms, and NOT pathology. In fact, depression and anxiety can have multiple causes. Stress, nutritional issues, underlying illnesses, or any combination of these and other factors can result in depression and/or anxiety. So when you look at it this way, you see that conditions like depression and anxiety symptoms rather than true illnesses. I should also note that depression and anxiety commonly occur together. Most people who have depression also have anxiety, and vice versa. But it is more common to have anxiety as the primary symptom with occasional feelings of depression.

As for medications, antidepressants are used to treat both depression and anxiety. I personally am not a big proponent of meds, since they often don't work for people and have negative side effects. I also feel like there is really not enough known about them, including any possible long-term problems and negative effects on a developing fetus (not to mention the fact that the baby will possibly undergo withdrawal when born). So to be on the safe side, I feel they are best avoided during pregnancy.

There is another issue with meds that I feel COULD be a problem. In your case, for instance, you don't seem to feel like side effects or lack of efficacy is a serious problem. BUT, you have been taking these pills for four years and still basically have problems. I've seen others in your situation. And this makes me wonder whether medication maybe helps people like you to feel somewhat better at the expense of recovering fully. In other words, I have to wonder whether medication leaves people 'forever managed, but never cured'. You might just try going without medication and trying something like CBT (either with or without a therapist). You just might be surprised to find that you really don't need to be on meds (although you probably won't feel better overnight).

joey9
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I find that my anxiety masks an underlying depression. For me, an episode of anxiety is characterised by an intense, all consuming fear that something catastrophic is going to happen. This feels so urgent and frightening that it kind of overpowers the depressed feelings - worthlessness, low self-esteem, weepiness etc.

As for the medications, although I have felt close to breaking at certain times I have never resorted to them and I'm glad because I really feel that trying to overcome it without has taught me so many lessons in how to prevent this happening again. And its not just all the lifestyle/nutrition stuff. The most important lessons for me were in facing up to things I'm afraid of and not avoiding things all the time, because this ALWAYS make things worse in the long run. A few moments of mild discomfort really help to stave off the major episodes. Overcoming anxiety can make you a better person and I really feel like I've made important changes over the past year.

I hope that you can find a way to feel better whilst you're pregnant. I don't know if its allowed during pregnancy but I found acupuncture can really help with the physical symptoms of anxiety on a short term basis.