PDA

View Full Version : NUVA RING & SMOKING

somessedup
02-04-2009, 06:59 PM
i have been on the nuva ring birth control for a while now and i smoke a pac a day of cigerettes. I looked online and it says nuva ring gives many people strokes and heart attacks. I am starting to get chest pains and my one big toe is numb feeling all the time:( i keep thinking im gonna have a stroke or heart attack.

but even though im soo paranoid and scared about this i still cannot quit smoking. i tried once and i went so crazy and had way worse anxiety!

has anybody else on this forum quit smoking ciggerettes?
i need some tips on how to!!!

northstar
02-05-2009, 03:08 AM
hi somessedup, i'm afraid i don't have any tips on giving up smoking, i just wanted to ask you about the nuva ring. how has your anxiety been since you were on it? have you noticed any difference in your moods? the reason i ask is that i had my own bad experience with birth control & have since discovered that it is known to cause anxiety because of all those extra hormones in your body. it's just something to be aware of, if you're getting ok with it then that's great, but if you find it's having a major effect on your mood then go talk to your doctor :)

you can also talk to your doctor about different ways to support yourself while you give up smoking. i know it must be hard, but it'd be totally worth it.

your worries about getting a stroke or heart attack are not unusual at all with anxiety, you might be surprised with the amount of people who come through here with the same problem. the recommended way to help with your irrational thinking is to see a counsellor or a cognitive behaviour therapist who can guide you to bring the irrational thoughts under control.

hope this helps a little anyway :)