PDA

View Full Version : Neurotransmitters related to anxiety & depression

desperateDave
07-01-2005, 09:56 AM
fascinating stuff. thank you for that information. I was considering medications before but never understood what half of them did. this helps me understand somewhat but I guess i should talk to doctor first. How did you learn all of that?

rnmom
07-17-2005, 10:54 AM
this was helpful. i am in the process of finding out what medication i need for me to be on for my anxiety (mostly)and depression (mild). my md put me on zoloft about 2 months ago and that's when all my problems really started. i had a bad reaction and because of my anxiety disorder, i was hesitant to start anything else. finally i had a huge panic attack (about a month ago) and have now been taking xanax. it helps with the anxiety but it also makes me drowsy. it's so hard to feel this way b/c i have 2 kids. it's been a struggle. i see a therapist once a week for behavior therapy. it really works as far as how emotions have an effect on anxiety. i guess my question is...if anyone knows...is xanax all i need...or do i need to be one of those antidepressants as well?? it's so scary to go through this. if anyone has gone through this or is going through this can you tell me what has been working for you?? thanks.

shoe
07-18-2005, 07:58 AM
rnmom, im glad the info was helpful to you. I actually just made another slight change to it again today - just adding new terms basically.

Anyway, the Xanax for me always caused some kind of 'slowdown' effect in the way my mind worked.. i couldnt concentrate as well, couldn't remember things so well, and was also pretty drowsy on it. I switched to Klonopin which has had a better effect on me, I feel more aware and conscious of things, and it doesnt pull me down like xanax did. This is just my reaction to it though - it really depends on the person on how well different medications work. I do know that taking any benzo in large doses - or with grapefruit (which strangely enough enhances the effect of some medications) - can make you drowsy.

Benzodiazepines aren't good for depression, so you'll need to go another route for that, whether it be therapy, supplements, or medications. I have only tried a few SSRI's myself, both Paxil and Effexor - both have had ill side effects for me, but I did have a great initial response to effexor, depression wise. I beleive because it also affects the dopamine system. I have taken a supplement called SAM-e for depression too, and that has worked out well for me, with no ill side effects at all. I've also tried 5-HTP but didn't have any luck with the 2 brands I tried.

Those are just my experiences, so don't expect it to work the same for you. Everyone responds to these things differently, unfortunately.

I came across an interesting article the other day I'll share with ya, titled 'Antidepressants and alternative treatments for depression':
http://womentowomen.com/LIBantidepressants.asp

The material seems to have a lot of information and is very interesting. I think in the end that site wants to sell you something - but the article seems fair and balanced (although I'm still working my way through it).

dan

jerseygirl
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
hey SHOE, I see u you lost ur "Y" HEHEHE. Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for all the posting that you doing. I find this thread a really interesting one and I think I'm gonna try some of the recommendations I found on the links you provided.
Do you yourself find that any of these vitamins or therapies work? I know meds have worked for me but I'm trying to stay med free. Let me know.

CYA
JG :P

shoe
07-21-2005, 12:28 PM
hey jersey. I tried taking 5-HTP supplements from 2 different companies with no luck. But after seeing it mentioned continuously in articles all over the internet, I'm considering maybe trying again - but I need to find out a good manufacturer first.

I've taken flaxseed oil for Omega 3 fats but I don't know that it made any difference.. and I was really just taking it for the health reasons anyway. Unfortunately, I've read a few mixed reports on it's value as an Omega-3 source, so I might switch to fish oil capsules.

The only supplement I've taken that works for me is SAM-e, and that was only as far as mood goes. Anxiety was unaffected.

dan

PAIN777
07-30-2005, 12:57 AM
I GOT ON 20MG OF PAXIL BECAUSE OF PANIC ATTACKS. IT WORKED GOOD BUT THE SIDE AFFECTS WERE NOT GOOD. I ONLY HAD ONE SIDE AFFECT ADN LET ME WARN YOU NOW, IT COULD OF RUINED MY LIFE AND ALMOST DID. I WOULD GO OUT TO THE BARS AND DRINK AND FIND MY SELF LYING TO MY WIFE, NOT COMING HOME FROM POOL LEAGUE TILL 3:00 AM AND JUST GOING WAY OVER BOARD. IT'S LIKE IT TOOK ME AND MADE ME FEEL NO REMORSE AND I COULD DO WHAT EVER I WANTED AND THERE WOULD BE NO CONSEQUENCES. AFTER 2 1/2 YEARS AND HUNDREDS OF LIES AND SITUATIONS I SHOULD NOT OF BEEN AND REALLY DID NOT WANT TO BE IN I WAS GONNA LOSE MY FAMILY. SO I DECIDED TO GET OFF IT AND I LOWERED MY DOSE OVER A MONTH PERIOD UNTIL I WAS OFF. 2 MONTHS LATER I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH PANIC ATTACKS AND NOW I NEED TO GET ON SOMETHING THAT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM BUT NOT MAKE ME ARAGING PARTY ANIMAL. BY THE WAY , ASK MY WIFE, I CAN HAVE 2 DRINKS COME RIGHJT HOME NOW, HELL A 6 PACK WILL LAST IN MY FRIDGE AT LEAST 2-3 DAYS. I HAVE CONTROL OF MYSELF AGAIN. DOES ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM AND SWITCHED AND DID NOT GET THE PROBLEM BACK AND STILL DID NOT GET PANIC ATTACKS! THANX AARON

shoe
08-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Aaron,

Sorry to hear your life took a downward spiral there. While I have never heard any such thing as what you describe taking place due to an SSRI, I'm no expert. It sounds more like things associated with drinking rather than taking meds, but who knows - it could be the medication made you more carefree. In any case, drinking is something psychiatrists always recommend against while taking medication - the two just do not play well together.

Talk to your psychiatrist or doctor about what medication you think you'd like to try next. There are a range of available options and its best you come up with something that is right for you by talking to your doc.

take care,
dan