PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex\Lexapro

Contant Worry
02-02-2009, 03:11 PM
HI there

I just started taking Cipralex 10mg (cdn version of Lexapro) and have had 7 dose now. My anxiety is quite high still. I have read various postings that this is common when starting this med. I was wondering if anyone out there experienced the samething and how long it took for you get over it. The Doc did give me Ativan (0.5mg)to help with the panic attacks but everything I read said it can be quite addictive. At most I have had to take one a day, there have been days where I did not take one. However today I took one and it did not seem to help. My Doc ref me to a Shrink but it's going to be 2 1/2 months before I can see her. And now he is on holidays for 2 weeks. I have been contiplating uping my does of Cipralex to 15mg or 20mg.

If anyone out there has any advise\experience I would love to hear it!
Thanks

Matt210
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi there,

Just browsing the forums and thought i'd reply since I am also on Cipralex.

It is absolutely normal for pretty much all anti-depressants to take 4-6 weeks before they start to help. In fact, a great deal of them can make you worse before they make you better. This is probably why your doc gave you the Atvian in the meantime.

Do not up your dose of Cipralex without your doctors guidance. Your body needs to adjust. If after 4-6 weeks you are still thinking you aren't being helped by the Cipralex you might up your dose a bit. But 10mg is a pretty common dose for Cipralex.

Just hang in there. If you aren't finding Atvian to be helpful maybe ask for some Klonopin (Clonazepam). It's another Benzo. Has a longer half life and helps take the edge off for longer periods of time. All Benzos are addictive though so try to only take them when you need them.

It's also normal to find Benzo's are hit or miss - I'm on Clonazepam and sometimes it really relaxes me, other times it just makes me sleepy while my anxious thoughts keep racing.

Contant Worry
02-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your reply. It's reassuring to hear that it's not just me. How long have you been on Cipralex? And do you find it's helpful for you?

Matt210
02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I've been on Cipralex for just over a month now. So far I haven't experienced much benefit from it.

There is still time for me to start feeling better - it can take up to 6 weeks with some people. But for now, nothing yet.

Means nothing about your case - all of our brain chemistries are entirely different and Cipralex has worked for plenty of people. Just hang in there, use your Benzo when you need it and hopefully you'll be feeling better in a few weeks.

If not, then you get your doc to taper you off Cipralex and you can give another medication a go. Zoloft is one that apparently helps a lot of people.