PDA

View Full Version : Should an actress seek help?

untamedshrew
01-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I am a 19-year old college student who only rarely experiences blushing or rapid heartbeat - it only happens when I'm really put on the spot, i.e. in front of a class. I am an acting / directing major, so I am able to be very effective on stage, but only as another character.
I guess what I'm asking is whether or not it's really a "clinical" case of social anxiety that affects me if I don't have the commonly desribed "physical" symptoms.
I believe that my social life is drastically affected by my feelings of inferiority and vulnerability to negative judgement. I am constantly worried about whether I look bad or sound stupid, and often avoid social situations for this reason. Worse yet, I find that I am completely unable to discuss the problem with anyone- even close friends and family.
Am I just shy, or do I have social anxiety disorder? Should I seek help or just wait for it to pass (I've waited for quite some time now and thing don't seem to be getting any better). I am so confused! Any help would really be appreciated!

-"Miss Clairee"

shoe
01-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Miss Clairee,

There are all types of anxiety and phobias that people experience, I wouldn't say you had 'generalized social anxiety' but you could have some symptoms of social anxiety, or maybe just a 'performance phobia' or somesuch (I just made that term up - but phobias are limitless really). I think many people would associate with a fear of being on stage, so discussing it with friends or family might help :)

There's a blushing website someone sent me a link to before.. its at:
http://www.facialblush.com/

Dunno if that has anything helpful to you, but thought I'd pass it on :)

Also, I think seeing a therapist can't hurt Clairee... they can help you to realize whats causing your problems and where your low self esteem might be coming from.