PDA

View Full Version : Long distance flight: resurgent panic!

CrazyPanic
01-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Hi everyone, aaaah I need some help and I hate to sound like woody allen (although he is very funny) but I am struggling with panic at the moment and need some advice.

I have had a number of Panic related issues on and off over the past five years or so, things like, thinking I'm going to have a heart attack, breathing problems, problems swallowing, benign faciculitis, trouble sleeping, pains in my chest, night terrors, the works.

I am currently on Citalopram (20mgs) for depression/panic disorder and it was working fine to the point that me and my girlfriend have planned a big trip abroad. But a couple of days after I booked the tickets (no refunds!) and then I had a 'freak out' whilst in bed on sunday morning, it felt as if my heart was slowing down and for some reason I just got up and got dressed and ran down stairs with thoughts of calling an ambulance, like I was going to die imminently! After a little while I calmed down and of course I'm still here to write this so....

Anyway I have had upteen ecg's and been told I'm fine, I'm 27 yrs old and pretty healthy. But after my latest episode I'm terrified it's going to happen on the plane and I'm going to make a fool out of myself or actually die which sounds ridiculous. I need to travel I know it'll be a great adventure for both of us, but these fears are crippling me.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks again and sorry for the long e-mail, CP

FunPie
01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
There are a lot of books on Cognitive-Behavioral therapy on Amazon, Half, etc.

I used to go the library from time to time. Just search for The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, or go to a therapist if you haven't already. It is hard for me to relate because I do not have agoraphobia. I've had panic attacks before in public, and with many people, the more it happens the easier it gets ; ) I know it sounds cliche, but many cliches are formed because they are timeless advice that have suprassed the zeigeist of human civilization, "who really gives a damn what they think anyway?"

You seem to have already made the connection, but just a helpful reminder, you can't die from a panic attack. If you really have panic disorder than you have lived with it long enough to know that by now. Facing your fears is in fact very eurphoric for many people. I think you are ready to go on that trip, and I think you should.