PDA

View Full Version : new to this

sarahrohrs
01-03-2009, 09:43 PM
hi, I have never joined a forum, so please forgive any faux paus. I'm trying to cop with anxiety, but have been avoiding things, particularly driving which causes the most anxiety. Now, it's become abundantly clear how much avoiding the anxiety has closed me in - not going out at night, not having any kind of social live, avoiding parties, etc. Also, how much the anxiety and avoidance has built up this wall of negativity. It's a miracle that I now have to face it. My job has changed and one of my first assignments is to drive at night on the freeway to cover a meeting. It's got me all in a tizzy, but I've been slowly realizing today it's the best thing that could happen to me. The last few hours I've been fortifying myself with positive affirmations and thoughts, printing stuff out to use during my drive. It's only a ten minute drive but it feels like I'm going off to war or something. Earlier today I was actually thinking about calling in sick or quitting my job to avoid making this drive. How Stupid is that. I keep trying to remember what it felt before all this driving anxiety built up. I used to drive all over the place - wherever and whenever I wanted and it was an integral part of the job. I felt anxious on the road once in awhile, but now it's built up like it's going to be a major catastrophe. I am SO looking forward to getting over this, and am searching for a therapist or something to help me in this new year. I truly believe this is the best way for me to start this new year and I'm so grateful my job assignment changed so I would be challenged to get over this!!! Anyway, thanks for letting me post here, and I hope to find and provide support for all of us being free!!

FunPie
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey, I've been through similar things you have, especially the driving long distances and feeling I could go crazy there.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that it has taken a while for people to reply. It has nothing to do with Faux Pas, simply that this is not a popular section if you want feedback. If you want, you can try the general discussioin, it has far more viewers and you will have much more success with responses.