PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Lexapro

mary42
01-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone!

After reading way too many horror stories about stopping Lexapro...I've decided to start tapering off. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to reduce any bad side effects?

I'm very open to holistic treatments, so any vitamin/mineral suggestions to help me though it would be great. I currently take a vitamin B complex, about 150mg magnesium and 25 mg of zinc everyday along with my 10mg of Lexapro. I'm going to start taking 7.5mg next.

I was put on Lex about 6 months ago for GAD and panic attacks I started having out of the blue. I'm in a lot better mind-set now probably from the combination of a healthier lifestyle, seeing a therapist, and the meds. I am pretty sure it was just a phase that my parents, my doctor, and I overreacted to by immediately resorting to meds. I feel like I took the easy way out and don't want to be stuck on this pill for the rest of my life.

northstar
01-03-2009, 12:28 PM
hi mary, i'm so glad to see you're feeling better a couple of months down the line. don't feel you took the easy way out, it's not easy to deal with anxiety and you just did what you could at the time, if you're feeling better now then perhaps you did the right thing :)

if you want to come of the lexapro then talk to your doctor about it and they'll help you out by lessening your dose and eventually taking you off it. i assume you probably know already that it's best not to simply stop by yourself. if you want to look at other methods to help reduce the stress then you can have a look at this post, i wrote it quite a while ago to bring together everything that i learned about combating anxiety without drugs, so you may find it interesting: http://www.anxietyforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4087

the vitmain B is a great place to start! wishing you lots of success :)